Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Sentra Se-engine SR20DE. The timing marks on the cam and crank are inconsistant. The timing mark on the crank and on the R cam are at top dead center, however, the L cam mark is off to the left. Where do the timing marks go to correctly "time" the cam and crank? Anything else I need to know when replacing the timing chain?

·
Registered
155 Posts
arcsparkswelding said:
I have a 2001 Sentra Se-engine SR20DE. The timing marks on the cam and crank are inconsistant. The timing mark on the crank and on the R cam are at top dead center, however, the L cam mark is off to the left. Where do the timing marks go to correctly "time" the cam and crank? Anything else I need to know when replacing the timing chain?
Why the hell are you replacing the chain on a 01?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hydrolock said:
Why the hell are you replacing the chain on a 01?
I thought this was odd, too! The car has 65k miles on it. I bought it used from a Nissan dealer at 27k miles. I have reason to believe that it was previously wrecked and not told about it. Makes me wonder if the mileage is true. Anyway, the crank gear is smooth wore out and the timing chain has slack in it and wore out. It slipped off the gears the other day when I went to start it up. I checked compression, and had no compression in 3 out of 4 valves. This is the dual OHC engine.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Download a Factory Service Manual from www.phatg20.com (you must register). It has the procedure for replacing the timing chain in the MA section.

If the chain slipped when the engine was running, it may have bent some valves. You can check this when you replace the chain by looking for any valves which are not completely closed when off a cam lobe, or with the rocker arms removed. If you remove the rocker arms, keep everything in order so the parts go back in the same place they came from.

Lew

·
Registered
155 Posts
arcsparkswelding said:
I thought this was odd, too! The car has 65k miles on it. I bought it used from a Nissan dealer at 27k miles. I have reason to believe that it was previously wrecked and not told about it. Makes me wonder if the mileage is true. Anyway, the crank gear is smooth wore out and the timing chain has slack in it and wore out. It slipped off the gears the other day when I went to start it up. I checked compression, and had no compression in 3 out of 4 valves. This is the dual OHC engine.
That sucks man I feel for ya.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts