Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I'm looking to replace the timing chains on a 93 Sentra with the GA16DE engine. I already have a factory service manual and this appears to be a huge job. what I would like to know is how long should I expect this job to take? and what this should I be looking for while I'm doing this. Also what parts would be recomended replacing when the front part of the engine is already torn apart...timing chains and sprockets of course but I'm also considering doing the water pump, thermostat, belts, valve guide seals, front main seal and possibly the oil pump. If there anything else I should consider please let me know. This is my everyday car so I'm not going to do any major performance mods to it but if there are any small and cheap thing that can be done let me know.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Why are you replacing the timing chain? It is expected to last the life of the car.

And yes, this is a major undertaking. It's almost worth dropping the engine, otherwise you're working through the passenger wheel well.

Be VERY sure you NEED to replace the chain.

·
Registered
393 Posts
bahearn said:
Why are you replacing the timing chain? It is expected to last the life of the car.

And yes, this is a major undertaking. It's almost worth dropping the engine, otherwise you're working through the passenger wheel well.

Be VERY sure you NEED to replace the chain.
arent you glad we have chains instead of belts? haha... yeah, you might just need to have it adjusted. or are you just doing it for fun?

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
This is a brutal job, and everything must be aligned exactly correct and it will take a long time. Are you sure it's necessary? Anyway, don't forget to replace the chain guides.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or you could just do what my friend is wanting to do with his 240sx. You can just let the timing chain break and you can get an sr20de engine!!!

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
I agree that you should verify the chain needs to be replaced. The sprockets should not need to be replaced unless they have been damaged. I would replace the chain itself and the guides. The valve seals will make the job 10 times harder. I must say it is not the worst job in the world. It is time consuming to say the least, but that's all. As long as you follow the FSM the alignment on the timing chain is easy. Just have to be patient in removing everything! If you valve seals are leaky though, it would def. be the time to do it. It's a few day project at least, esp. if you are working with hand tools and jack stands!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the way I look at it...I replaced a timing chain on a 90 Sentra SOHC where the guides broke for a friend. It only had 92K on it so I was starting to get nervous because I have 155K on my 93 DOHC. I figured if I did the job now and avoided the Christmas rush and do it soon and do the job complete...guides, sprockets, chain, guide seals while the cams were out, water pump, and maybe oil pump don't want to do the job twice so I want to do it right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts