Nissan Forum banner

Have you had Timing chain tensioner or chain issues, GA16 or SR20, when

• None, 175-200K miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upper Chain/Tensioner only, 200-225K miles

• Upper Chain/Tensioner only, 225K Miles and over.

• Lower and Upper Chain/Tensioner, 150-175K miles

• Lower and Upper Chain/Tensioner, 225K Miles and over.

• SR20

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please fill in the poll, if you don't know because the history of the car is unknown it is important you answer the survey with "don't know", otherwise the results are distorted.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I voted no @ 225k and over.

It did develop a diesel rattle to it at idle (around 230k or so), but when you gave gas it was fine.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough, it made it over 225K.
not enough entries yet to raise a flag about the recent failures around 100 to 125K
For a long time all the failures ie bad failures were 200 K + and then only a couple i can remember.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I voted no @ 225k and over.

It did develop a diesel rattle to it at idle (around 230k or so), but when you gave gas it was fine.
Hate to say it, but that is EXACTLY what Kelly's car was doing, and the reason why I didn't think it was such a big rush to get done; the noise went away with a little gas, how bad could the slack in the chain be?

Trust me, NOW is the time to get the tensioner done, BEFORE it fails and shows you what an Interference Engine is called that for.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I traded the car in @ 258k. If it broke, I really wouldn't have cared anyway(I would have felt like I got my money out of the car). We were in the market for a new car at that time.

If we intended on keeping the car, I would have changed it out when it first started acting up. That was a great car...... The compression on all cyls was over 130+ psi @ 258k. 31 mpg....

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump bump bump

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
any new info ??

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Yeah, I wonder how richm2256 made out with his daughter's car. (In other news, my Sentra is still running flawlessly and silently with the original tensioners and chains!)

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It wasnt pretty, damaged engine, he did some updates
bump bump bump

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump bump bump

·
Registered
13 Posts
Which tensioner usually goes bad first? Mine is making the rattle, and i have the lower tensioner, yet to put in. But if i put in the lower one first, does it make it harder to replace the upper one?

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the GA the upper seems to go first... read some of the posts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts