Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im just about to get payed and i didnt know what was more important to replace first, either my dented oil pan or my noisy timing chain..

both cost about the same besides the 40 dollar differince..

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
dented oil pans can wreak havoc on your oiling system. theres a tiny gap between the pickup and pan and if that gap gets even smaller, you can risk cutting off the oil supply to your engine drastically. id go for the pan first.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm

yeah thats what i was thinking that dented oil pan scares the crap out of me, i wont even drive my car.

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
deffinately get an oil pan. are you sure the timing chain isn't just the top guide making the rattle?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hm

now that i think of it i think it's the rattle because thats the noise it is making..

i still want to replace the whole setup, car has 190 thousand miles and has never had a timing chain job done.

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
yea, i thought i'd say that since timing chains are a bitch and a half to replace. but if you're going to replace it anyways, i'd just take the guide off for now until you do it.

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,669 Posts
Since you're going to replace the oil pan, that would be the perfect time to service the timing chain assembly.

If you were to just service the timing chain assembly, the oil pan would have to be removed anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
if hes only replacing the lower oil pan though, he wont be taking off the upper pan.
have you thought about the dent being the reason the chain is rattling?
chains arent supposed to be replaced under normal circumstances, theyre supposed to last the life of the engine.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
also think thant if you replace the chain and guides youll have to remove the oil pan anyways. yor can just kill two birds with on stone buy replacing the chain and guide if your gonna change them anyways

1 - 9 of 9 Posts