Nissan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
My pick up truck 1996 Nissan KA 24 Manuel Trans. got a problem with brakes. I drove it previous day and parked and the next day when I step on the pedal there was no pressure. Once the engine started it became more less pressure. I check the reservoir and it was empty. Please help me with a solution. Thank you.
This is a thread for timing chain replacement; you should really start a new thread and you'll get more people to see it. Since the reservoir is empty, it sounds like you have a leak somewhere. You'll need to remove the drums and check your wheel cylinders, check the calipers, check the back of the master cylinder and of course check the brake hoses and metal lines. Somewhere there should be evidence of brake fluid leaking.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I PLAN ON USING SOMEOF YOUR PHOTOS, AND WRITE UP TO HELP IN A HARMONIC BALANCEER
REPLACEMENT:

IN THE PRINT OUT I RE-TITLED IT:

Timing Chain replacement 2.4 KA24E

NISSAN ‘94 HB XE to replace all the old timing components, AND belts,
REPORT IS INTENDED TO BE USED TO AID IN
REPLACEING HARMONIC BALENCER
(COPIED FROM A WRIT-UP FROM NISSAN FORUM ON THE INTERNET.

·
Nissan Owner
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I PLAN ON USING SOMEOF YOUR PHOTOS, AND WRITE UP TO HELP IN A HARMONIC BALANCEER
REPLACEMENT:

IN THE PRINT OUT I RE-TITLED IT:

Timing Chain replacement 2.4 KA24E

NISSAN ‘94 HB XE to replace all the old timing components, AND belts,
REPORT IS INTENDED TO BE USED TO AID IN
REPLACEING HARMONIC BALENCER
(COPIED FROM A WRIT-UP FROM NISSAN FORUM ON THE INTERNET.
Sure, you're welcome to the photos.

I've put about 15,000 miles on mine since the timing chain job, and it's doing fine, but I do wish I had dropped the oil pan and resealed it. It's weeping just ever so slightly now, but not dripping.

I noticed there is still a VERY slight chain noise upon cold startup, but only after leaving the truck unused for a week at a time. I start and run it once a week at least, and the chain buzzing goes away in one or two seconds as the oil pressure builds. I'm chalking this up as pretty normal on these engines.

-Roger

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roger,
The 2 oil seals, did you use anything to seal them to the block and did you seal around them when putting the timing cover back on? Only thing bothering before I put back together.
Dave

·
Nissan Owner
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Hi Dave, yes, I actually used the high temperature Permatex silicon sealer, ...the red stuff, but I have been made aware that they make an even better sealer, or gasket maker for applications where they are in constant contact with oil, called Permatex Ultra Black.

Mine has not leaked at all with the red stuff, but if I were to do it over again I'd use the Ultra Black sealer instead.

-

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Post with pic's Repairman. I have 1990 KA24E engine. Timing chain hitting engine front cover at cold startup noise started around 90K miles. I finally changed timing chain at 195K miles. Glad I did, the chain was stretched. The cam and crank sproket teeth were worn to being nubs (very rounded). The nylon coating on the chain guides was worn and pieces broke off that were in the oil pan. The tensioner was worn to. I got the whole replacement kit from Nissan which includes chain, both stationary and pivot chain guides, chain tensioner, sprokets, water pump and oil pump. I replaced all the worn parts and installed complete kit and the Spindle Shaft. When I had the engine front cover off I inspected and found that the were wear marks from the chain conflicting with the cover during cold startup. This is caused due to the slack in the chain because the chain is stretched and the tensioner pistion is not long enough to push the pivot chain guide fast enough at startup. The tensioner is driven by the oil that is pushed out of the oil filter into the galley that feeds the chain tensioner. So it is important to use good oil filters that have pinkish soft silcone check valve rather the black nitrile check valve ( become very hard and do not hold oil). After completing repairs, When starting The chain to metal noise at startup was gone but now the noise was chain to nylon (plastic) which is used to coat the chain guides. I took the old tensioner pistion and went to machine shop and had them make me an extension (shaped like a cup) that sliped on the piston of the tensioner assembly. I then had to fit the extension so that the chain was in the running position (with tension) when the engine was cold and it didn't rely on the oil from the oil filter to make it extend. This resolved the noise completely. I now have 225K mile on the engine still with no issue or noise at cold startup.

·
Software Developer
568 Posts
Great Post with pic's Repairman. I have 1990 KA24E engine. Timing chain hitting engine front cover at cold startup noise started around 90K miles. I finally changed timing chain at 195K miles. Glad I did, the chain was stretched. The cam and crank sproket teeth were worn to being nubs (very rounded). The nylon coating on the chain guides was worn and pieces broke off that were in the oil pan. The tensioner was worn to. I got the whole replacement kit from Nissan which includes chain, both stationary and pivot chain guides, chain tensioner, sprokets, water pump and oil pump. I replaced all the worn parts and installed complete kit and the Spindle Shaft. When I had the engine front cover off I inspected and found that the were wear marks from the chain conflicting with the cover during cold startup. This is caused due to the slack in the chain because the chain is stretched and the tensioner pistion is not long enough to push the pivot chain guide fast enough at startup. The tensioner is driven by the oil that is pushed out of the oil filter into the galley that feeds the chain tensioner. So it is important to use good oil filters that have pinkish soft silcone check valve rather the black nitrile check valve ( become very hard and do not hold oil). After completing repairs, When starting The chain to metal noise at startup was gone but now the noise was chain to nylon (plastic) which is used to coat the chain guides. I took the old tensioner pistion and went to machine shop and had them make me an extension (shaped like a cup) that sliped on the piston of the tensioner assembly. I then had to fit the extension so that the chain was in the running position (with tension) when the engine was cold and it didn't rely on the oil from the oil filter to make it extend. This resolved the noise completely. I now have 225K mile on the engine still with no issue or noise at cold startup.
Did you get any pictures?

·
Nissan Owner
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Great Post with pic's Repairman. I have 1990 KA24E engine. Timing chain hitting engine front cover at cold startup noise started around 90K miles. ...
... I took the old tensioner piston and went to machine shop and had them make me an extension (shaped like a cup) that slipped on the piston of the tensioner assembly. I then had to fit the extension so that the chain was in the running position (with tension) when the engine was cold and it didn't rely on the oil from the oil filter to make it extend. This resolved the noise completely. I now have 225K mile on the engine still with no issue or noise at cold startup.
That sounds like a VERY good idea! I have to leave my truck sitting for sometimes up to two weeks at a time without being started, especially during the Winter. As a result, even with new stock parts, it still rattles the chain for a couple of seconds after starting. I'm sure your new trick mod would take care of that issue.

Did you get any pictures?
Yeah, I'd liked to have seen some pics, too. I remember some company use to make metal caps like that for worn valve stems on engines. That was a long, long time ago, but it may have been for old air cooled VW bug engines. I'll have to see if I can come up with something that would work. I still have a Nissan tensioner laying around somewhere.

-Roger

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help Help and Help -- 1993 Nissan D21 Hardbody K24 engine --
Two things right off -
FIRST ---- We didn't set timing - we just tore down the engine like it was a chevy -- Cam position - etc left to it's self - pulled the distributor etc - It's still completely down - and we're trying to set the cam and crank sprocket --we're not cofident we're even close . HELP - I'm thinking pull the head - set the engine at top dead center -- this is because I'm 99 % sure the engine had skipped timing. I am thinking if not we waste good money and time - I really don't want to go through a head removal if I do not have to.

# TWO ISSUE -- when were were pulling the components from the front of the engine - there was a D shaped gasket that is flat but metal on the outside and a rubber gasket on the inside of it -- it's all one piece. It might just be oval but either way - it's not showing up in the kit and I can't find one online.
I would hire a pro but the thing is in my little garage and torn down already. Can you find ANSWERS to my QUESTIONS?

Gary

·
Software Developer
568 Posts
Help Help and Help -- 1993 Nissan D21 Hardbody K24 engine --
Two things right off -
FIRST ---- We didn't set timing - we just tore down the engine like it was a chevy -- Cam position - etc left to it's self - pulled the distributor etc - It's still completely down - and we're trying to set the cam and crank sprocket --we're not cofident we're even close . HELP - I'm thinking pull the head - set the engine at top dead center -- this is because I'm 99 % sure the engine had skipped timing. I am thinking if not we waste good money and time - I really don't want to go through a head removal if I do not have to.

# TWO ISSUE -- when were were pulling the components from the front of the engine - there was a D shaped gasket that is flat but metal on the outside and a rubber gasket on the inside of it -- it's all one piece. It might just be oval but either way - it's not showing up in the kit and I can't find one online.
I would hire a pro but the thing is in my little garage and torn down already. Can you find ANSWERS to my QUESTIONS?

Gary
Hey Gary,

You should really start your own thread for more replies.

I don't have the 4-cylinder, so I will be of little help.

From what I've seen of KA timing chain jobs, you will want to stick something into the #1 piston spark plug hole and turn the engine until you can determine that piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC). A plastic stray from McDonald's works well, and can be purchased for a minimal amount.

Also, the D shaped flat on the distributor has to go at about 1 o'clock. Apparently, there is some confusion on this, because people often get the distributor in exactly 180° out of phase.

Also, the oil pump on the bottom of the distributor has to be lined up accurately.

There are lots of good threads with details, but here's one I keep bookmarked:

Timing Chain replacement on KA24E - Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

If you still want local help with it, go to the local Groups on Facebook. Find one for buy/sell, join it, and then post looking for someone who has done the timing chain swap on a 1993 Nissan pickup.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
A picture of the gasket would help. The only gasket that I can think of that is sorta "D" shaped is the gasket for the IAC valve. It would have round holes for four bolts, another larger round hole and a large, "cheese-doodle" shaped hole.

If the chain timing is off, then it's going to be hard to put it in time without removal of the front timing cover. Since you have the external oil pump, the cover can be removed without dropping the oil pan nor removing the cylinder head, but be careful not to damage the head gasket when you remove the cover. To do so without removing the cover or the head is tricky, because you will probably not get the marks on the timing chain in place. You will have to turn the engine until the crank is at top dead center and then use a wedge to lock the timing chain in place because the tensioner will extend if you don't before removing the cam gear and will make it impossible to get the gear back on the cam. If you are out of time, mechanically, and you start the engine, you risk damaging the valves, especially on the exhaust side. So, far that reason, I would recommend removing the front timing cover to properly install the chains and have the engine in-time. Also, make sure you clean out the oil port to the tensioner; remove the oil filter and tensioner and spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner through the oil port until it blows clear out of the oil filter adapter. Follow it with compressed air, if possible. You may also consider installing one of the "anti-chain rattle" kits available to prevent the common KA chain rattle. Here's some more info on that: https://newsmidnight.com/video/r2Ao2L8VJwZ-1-nissan-start-up-rattle-ka24e-timing-chain-noise-fix-1989-to-1997

21 - 33 of 33 Posts