Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 200SX and today while at the garage to get my drive belts changed..I was told my timing chain was going out, refering to the rattling under my hood. I was wondering if anyone knew about how much this would cost. The guy up there told me, if everything was out, which I know isn't, with parts and labor, it would be about $900.

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
900 to 1000 bucks is right if you take somewhere they charge for about 11hours

the parts are less then a 100 all you need is the tensioners and guides and those little oil rings but it is time consuming it took me about 2.5 days to do it taken it somewhat easy to complete the job but its worth it to save 900 bucks

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
BrokenPerfection said:
I have a 96 200SX and today while at the garage to get my drive belts changed..I was told my timing chain was going out, refering to the rattling under my hood. I was wondering if anyone knew about how much this would cost. The guy up there told me, if everything was out, which I know isn't, with parts and labor, it would be about $900.
What typically goes bad is the tensioners and normally it is the upper chain tensioner. I would start there before I did the entire chain. Do a search on timing chain and you will come up with good in depth info. on what is involved and what to expect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing Chain

MagicPie said:

the parts are less then a 100 all you need is the tensioners and guides and those little oil rings but it is time consuming it took me about 2.5 days to do it taken it somewhat easy to complete the job but its worth it to save 900 bucks
Yea, I found that out today. I called half a dozen places..all around the same price.
As for the parts, I got quoted about 215.00 for the "kit". Which, was explaned to me, meaning everything you would need to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MagicPie said:

I would do the work myself, but I'm not mechanically inclined..nor do I trust my dad to do the work.

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
the kit includes the chains likely you wont need them without them you can save almost 100 bucks
if your not mechanically inclined Stay away from this project this one ranks fairly high on diffculty level

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MagicPie said:
the kit includes the chains likely you wont need them without them you can save almost 100 bucks
if your not mechanically inclined Stay away from this project this one ranks fairly high on diffculty level
I may just have them change everything out that way I won't have to worry about it till later. Plus, this way, everything is new and I won't have to worry some much.
On another note, I called an import shop in Dallas that had the kits for 180.00 so I am going there to get it and hopefully sometime within the next week I can have my car back. I miss driving it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, I've been searching for a while and can't seem to come up with a definitive way to replace the upper tensioner. Every single thread says do a search or links to another thread or links to a search list. Anyhow, I have read at least 3 or 4 different ways to do it and they are contradict themselves and noone ever disputes any of them as wrong..
So, This is one I copied from another thread and no one said it was wrong. So I'm assumming it's this easy???

anotherthread said:
All you have to do to replace the upper tensioner (the spring-loaded one) is remove the camshaft cover (timing cover). With that removed, you can just unscrew the current tensioner (two 10mm bolts), and pull it out. To install the new one, hold the timing chain, and screw in the new one once you have it placed correctly. With this done, simply pull out the item you are using to keep the tensioner compressed, and your job is finished. Run a bead of RTV silicon along the timing cover, and screw it back into place. Job finished... you are back on the road again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts