Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my neighbor's helping me get this timing chain swapped out of my 96 2wd xe. We've gotten so far as to pull the following: valve cover, oil pan, cooling components (rad, fan, shroud), oil pump, distributor, and power steering pump. And we allso removed the huge chunks of broken tensioner. We've got the engine cranked by hand to TDC.

Now when I look at that cam sprocket, the teeth that I'm going to line up my chain (has the little dimple on the flat side of the sproket) are resting at the approximately the 4 o'clock position. Now I noticed that on the old chain (it's still on the the sprockets), there is a yellow mark that's been painted on one of the links. The problem is, there's probably about 8 or 9 inches of chain between the sprocket dimple and the paint on the chain.

Is this something I should be worried about? Or should do I just work onward?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Don't worry about that chain link stuff. Just make sure your crank is lined up with it's pointer and the cam is lined up with it's pointer. You can put the chain on with all the painted links lined up but once you start rotating it they will not line up for a while and dont need to. They're painted so you don't have too much slack on one side of the engine or the other. Once you get it on the money rotate the engine by hand 720* and check you alignment of your timing marks! GL

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the key on the cam sprocket is point due north. Pretty sure i read somewhere that's a good sign.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts