Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine started making a noise two days ago- it rattles, especially as a begin let off the throttle. I took it to my mechanic and he listened to it and said it was the timing chain going bad. I have 140k on the motor and some slight mods- stillen header, jwt pop, magnacore wires, courtesy muffler. Car has had regular maintenence, etc.

When I looked at him with a sour face, he said I could probably let it be for a couple of years untill the sound gets worse. He said he'd heard chains that sounded much worse that lasted for 2 or 3 years.

So question is. Would it be advisible to wait or is there a risk of the chain breaking or something and destroying the engine?

N

·
0 Posts
I'd replace the chain......... The other option is that since you have 140k miles on the motor maybee just swap a new motor..... If you look you can get a realativly new sr20 300-400 bucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with NJDYSON. Since the motor has to be pretty muched pulled out to replace the timing chain anyway. By the time you pay for parts and labor you could have a low mileage engine.

N

·
0 Posts
Where are located..... If you are buy me I might be able to get you a well priced motor but if it has to be shiped might as well check buy you.....

P

·
0 Posts
Do something, even if it's replacing the whole engine. Don't let it sit. That chain breaks and you could be in for a world of hurt. It's not worth the risk.

N

·
0 Posts
If the chain does break it will be easier to replace the engine than to worry about that mess

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before you assume its the timming chain make sure you check the timming chain tensioner. That is a common problem. A SR20 with a 140k on the clock is still healthy depending on its maintenance. It is very hard for a SR20 to ruin a timming chain. Unless it is one of few cases.

·
Registered
79 Posts
SE-Rican said:
Before you assume its the timming chain make sure you check the timming chain tensioner. That is a common problem. A SR20 with a 140k on the clock is still healthy depending on its maintenance. It is very hard for a SR20 to ruin a timming chain. Unless it is one of few cases.
I agree - check out the timing chain tensioner before you do anything drastic. :) I have personally seen three different variations of sr20 chain tensioners, the latest have much finer teeth allowing for smaller adjustments. Make sure to compare the old one against the new one to make sure the teeth are finer. That fixed my startup chain clatter - haven't heard it since and I have 133k on the motor.

Its actually funny, my first one started making a bunch of noise (probably the one that came with the car), the second one broke inside the car! and the third one has been the best yet (no noise.) :)

Aaron

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, replaced tensioner, but...

Replaced the tensioner. However, had a problemDoes anyone know the timing for the timing chain? My chain seems fine, but lost its timing, because of a mishap. I don't have a manual

Basically two things happened. One we were working in the rain at night and we lost a small pin on the tensioner. My mechanic friend decided to fashion one out of a nail (probably not a good idea). On top of this my light was going out and I didn't screw on the oil filter properly (he had left by this point). The reason for this was that the piece of metal under the oil filter became slightly bent and rubbed against the filter as I was screwing it on I couldn't see very well because of the dark and when I felt the resistance assumed my filter was on snug.

When I turned on my car-- well you can imagine. Anyway, my mechanic friend is working on it again now but the chain lost its timing. Does anyone know or can look up real quick.

Thanks,

Eduardo

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you look at the links you will see a gold link and 2 black links. The gold goes on the crank mark and the 2 black go on the cam sprocket marks. Look close on the gears you will see a little dimple on each one of them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hmm, i must be lucky then. i still have original chain and tensioner and sooooo many miles. damn thing runs perfect, i think it can even survive a nuke explosion and still run

jorge

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone, problem solved

Hi,

Well it turns out that when my chain lost its timing, one of the valves was bent.

I decided to just get a new engine 'cause the cost to fix was to much.

Just bought an almost new sr20ve! The guy is also sending me an extra head so I can sell my old engine.

Thanks for help everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts