Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone could tell from this photo if this is enough wear to cause noise in the timing chain? This is the upper chain tensioner. I am going to replace this tensioner when I find someone who can actually order it for me. Does this part have another name? Advanced Auto, Auto Zone and Carquest cannot find the part in their computers.Also replacing the guides, don't think I need to replace the chains at 140k miles.

100_1697.jpg picture by pleasantnye - Photobucket
upper tensioner picture by pleasantnye - Photobucket

·
Registered
23 Posts
hello

this is the ga16de (1.6) engine correct? and you want the upper timing chain tensioner correct? i got my hands on this it was a pain in the butt, but none of my stores had it on hand. did you try online? when i went to napa they called it the camshaft timing chain tensioner. thats exactly what mine looked like when i changed it. there arent any guides in the upper timing chain i don't think, but the lower one does definitely. if the chains making noise, it doesn't look lik enough wear to cause noise, but what might have happened is the chain stretched. when i say stretch i mean the little joints in between the chains are wearing out and are causing the chain to ride high on the camshaft sprockets. i would change the tensioner before pulling the chain off.

if you need help finding one:

AutoZone.com | | Timing Chain Tensioner | TMNG CHAIN TENSIONER

Timing Chain Tensioner by Beck/Arnley - Part 18032221 - Advance Auto Parts

NAPAONLINE®

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes it is the 1.6 and I need the upper tensioner. I found one online but was reluctant to purchase because of the pita to return it. Thanks for the links, the guys behind the counter could not locate this part, the computer says it doesn't fit my car but the photo definitely matches what I am looking for.

I don't want to change the chains but would hate to put it back together and still have the noise, it took me over 10 hours to get both covers off. The chains do appear to be loose but that is without the tensioners installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts