Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me if its hard to change the chain guide.. cause im about to put some work onto it before it gets even colder...the noise is bothering the hell out of me!!! is the replacement long?? will the manual help out or should i just go to a tech place??

let me know ....

lil vinny

·
Registered
339 Posts
SERialThreatz said:
can someone tell me if its hard to change the chain guide.. cause im about to put some work onto it before it gets even colder...the noise is bothering the hell out of me!!! is the replacement long?? will the manual help out or should i just go to a tech place??

let me know ....

lil vinny
I have the Haynes Manual and the work looks a little big... you have to separate the block and the cylinder head... lots of adjustements and care to take with.... but the problem could be just the chain tensioners/guides and not the chain itself...

·
Registered
674 Posts
He is asking about the guides. Did you replace the tensioner? If it is noisy on startup and quiets down after a couple of seconds then it is your tensioner. You don't have to take the head off for the guides. There are 2 long guides and 1 guide on top. It is a decent size job. If you decide to replace the chain you do not have to remove the head. Pull the valve cover, oil pan,front cover and remove the tensioner and pull the cam sprockets.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah its actuallly the guide not the chain when i start up theres this rattling even when i pull to a stop i hear it... if its the tensioner is it hard to pull out and replace the other one, how much is it??

·
Registered
674 Posts
It is not hard at all. Remove your oil filter. Remove the tensioner. When you remove the old tensioner be careful. It will want to spring out when your removing the nuts. When the nuts get close to the end of the threads you need to hold the tensioner against the block and remove it slowly. There is a spring and small parts on the inside part of the tensioner. If you let the tensioner spring off it may come apart and pieces can fall inside the engine. Then you would have a problem. When you put in the new tensioner just put it in and them turn the motor over by hand until you hear the tensioner click. Done.

When you get the new tensioner you will notice that it has a clip holding the tensioner in. Leave it like that when you put it in. The click sound you will hear is that releasing the tensioner.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You state that you have the head ported and polished, who did the work? Did they replace the chain and guides and tensioner with genuine Nissan parts? If not, the chain guide may be plastic and will wear quickly. Nissan used them in the KA24E motors and you would hear that rapping sound on warm starts. Replace the whole thing, not just the tensioner. they should have done this when you had the head ported as preventive issue

Chris 92 classic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts