Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with a Nissan Dealership, and they quoted me at 1500$+ to replace the Timing Chain and the Tensioner. Rated at about 13 hours of work. This is a ballpark estimate too, but it includes the parts in the price. Is this overpaying? Or is it a decent deal to get it done by the dealership?

Car Specs:

1998 Nissan 200sx 1.6L
Injen Cold Air Intake.
Magnaflow Exhaust.
B&M Short Shift
OBX Headers (to be installed)
Speed Clutch. (OEM replaced about 15k miles ago)
120,000 Miles.

It runs fine, its just that the tensioner is loud as fuck but its not causing any performance issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd get a quote from an independent mechanic. The dealer is going to overcharge you for bringing in a 10 year old car for them to work on.

·
Registered
734 Posts
go get a timing kit and a repair manual and get your hands greasy! it might cost you 200

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,282 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its the bolt to ur motor mount..the part that ur probablt talking about is a bracket with threads in it connected to the block..buy a rethreader and it'll work just fine after ur done

Sent from my SCH-R720 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
624 Posts
For anyone who cares, Mitchell rates the chain as anywhere from 8-12 hours. There are options for cylinder head removal, tensioner replacement, oil seal, etc.

That bolt in the picture is for a motor mount. Either retap the threads or replace the bracket (if it comes off).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts