Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so... I really hope you guys can help me! (no doubts, but I am new to this post, and new to owning a nissan)
I´m down in Chile for a few months, and got a 1989 nissan sunny 1.6 5 spd. from some guy who can´t get it to run. He said it just died going down the road, no noises or anything like that. The starter turns, I took it out and tested it. I tested it because it sounds like the motor is not turning over when I turn the key. had my girlfriend turn the key while I checked the crank pulley, and it is turning with the starter. I now proceed to remove the upper timing cover to look at the belt. It appears in place, but I noticed a few worn teeth on the belt. Now, when the crank pulley is turning, the cam pulley should also be turning correct¿ That's what I figure...but it´s not.
I am now about to remove the lower timing cover, which I presume to be a hassle(I don´t have a gear puller to remove the crank pulley). The timing belt should also go around the crankshaft, right¿ Please help, my prev. experience is working on rear-wheel-drive German cars...
****** in Chile...

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Hi
Must be an e16 engine (timing belt)
The crankshaft pulley doesn't need a pulley extractor to be removed
Hope the engine was not damaged (valves, guides, usw) in the event the timing belt failed...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
timing

thanks velardejose, I got the pulley off; but still, I had no tools for retaining the pulley while loosening the bolt! a little pisco helped, though...
ok, so the idler pulley above the crankshaft gear- is that the tensioner¿ I´m having a hard time getting tension released from the belt. I'm used to timing chains with simple tensioners...
The belt indeed is comletely stripped at the crankshaft gear
****** in Chile

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Yep, thats the belt tensioner...
A shot of pisco helps sometimes... ;)
Just get a factory manual and assemmble it with the proper tension (don't remember it) and marks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timing

sorry to be a bother, it's actually a sunny 1.5, not 1.6. Manual¿¿ I don't know that I could get one in Chile. Everybody's a mechanic already...
Plus, my spanish is a 5 on a 10 scale, and my knowledge of mechanical terms in Spanish is a big ZERO.
One guy who thought he was a mechanic took out a multi-meter, and started looking at the dist. points and battery, even after turning the key and not hearing the engine fire. He was like"hey, there's no spark at the plugs". My simple reply was "no shit¿". "Do you think the distributor gear, hence the rotor(which wasn't turning, of course), needs to turn for there to be a spark¿"
My last question is:
-the crank pulley mark is obvious: the notch
-the cam pulley though, is vague. there is a circle, which I presumed the timing mark, but then I also saw a triangle, like an arrow. I am confused, which is the mark¿
-Which Cylinder do I use to find TDC on piston¿ My guess would be the one closest to the timing belt
-also, there is another gear in between the cam and crank gears. what is that for¿ Is it's position relevant to timing¿
I really appreciate all of your (quite) timely help and advice!
****** in Chile

·
just rattle can it
453 Posts
Use the #1 cylinder, the one closest to the belt, to find TDC, and line up the marks accordingly. I honestly don't remember which mark on the cam it is, but it should be evident when you look at the valve positions. Also remember to line up the jackshaft. It can be in one of 3 positions i beleive.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
No problem
N° 1 is the closest to the belt
What is your email?
[email protected]
I have the manual in pdf format and could email you the two pages that detail this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timing

[email protected] I would love to have those pages of the manual...
Thank you so much. Ít's a bit of a challenge working on a car here, without all of the tools I have at home, but don't we all like a challenge¿
Everyone in this town says not to trust the mechanics, that they usually have parts left over when they give your car back!!
****** in Chile...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jose, thank you very much. Those pages are exactly what I needed. Now I will not have to bother you with a simpleton's questions anymore. What's better, is that I can now bring my girlfriend lunch at work. I'm sure that she will be thanking you when I go and pick her up at work tonight, you are a very helpful peson.
Fred

1 - 11 of 11 Posts