Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I can't find my previous post ...?? It appears that we have a B12 Sentra Classic. The engine appears to be an E16. I have a Datsun/Nissan workshop manual for the B11 (1983) and most things appear the same ? In the preventative maintenance it does not mention replacing the timing belt, I recall that it was recommended every 60-80,000 kms ?? As my BMW timing chain broke a few weeks ago I'm a bit nervous with the Sentra !!! Any advice ...
Peter

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Greetings,
I can't find my previous post ...?? It appears that we have a B12 Sentra Classic. The engine appears to be an E16. I have a Datsun/Nissan workshop manual for the B11 (1983) and most things appear the same ? In the preventative maintenance it does not mention replacing the timing belt, I recall that it was recommended every 60-80,000 kms ?? As my BMW timing chain broke a few weeks ago I'm a bit nervous with the Sentra !!! Any advice ...
Peter
A timing belt can last 100,000+ miles, but I would check it every 50,000 or so. Take the dust cover off the top and see if it looks cracked or dried out. Also see if you can see any sign of oil on the belt, oil will soften the rubber, which could cause an early failure. With engines like the E16 it is an interferance engine, so if the belt did break you would have valve and possibly head and piston damage.
A little PM (preventative maintenance) can help keep you in the clear though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just replaced my timing belt on my E16I about 2 months ago. It's VERY easy to do and requires little to no work. If you have a basic set of sockets and a flat head(to move the tensioner) then you can do it no problems.

My belt appeared fine visually but was slightly stretched out and cause the car to run terribly. Now its smooth as silk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks "Nickdoof" & "Bob89", I'm putting the car into the garage this week for an oil and thermostat change, and will check the belt at the same time. I seem to recall changing one on a Pulsar and as you say it's not a big job. Interferance engine, say no more, I have the head off my BM and it's not a pretty site.
Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts