Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody,

I've searched and read stickies, but still haven't found an answer to my basic dumb question:

I've got a 2002 sentra gxe, with about 62,000 (lots of commuter miles), and I'm wondering just how important it is to get the timing belt replaced now. Before my dad died last year, he told me to do it at 60,000, but I'm wondering if I might be ok until 70,000 or so? Is there any indication before they go? Will it destroy the engine if it fails on the freeway?!? Somebody just told me it would at school, and I was surprised. Then again, I'm a high school Spanish teacher...not a mechanic.

Thanks so much,

kelly :loser:

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
your car has a timing chain (it says so on the sticker ;) )

Therefore, it doesn't need to be worried about or changed until around 120,000 miles.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
chimmike said:
your car has a timing chain (it says so on the sticker ;) )

Therefore, it doesn't need to be worried about or changed until around 120,000 miles.
Always shortest answers possible from Chimmike... Sorry to highjack your thread though.

Timing belts are usually changed around 90000 miles on cars that use them. Since you have a chain, which lasts much longer, you probably won't have to worry about it. Now, around 100k miles, you might need to look into getting the tensioners replaced. They hold the chain tight, and tend to get frozen after awhile. When they start to go, you will hear a scrapping sound from the passenger side of the engine. Light at first, then louder as the chain wears into the tensioner.

Yes, on Nissans, if the chain (or belt) broke, it could cause serious problems.

At 62000, you don't have much to worry about besides oil changes. You got a ways to go... enjoy

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
actually, that's incorrect. it's highly recommended that a timing belt be replaced at every 60,000 mile interval, this has been true for as long as I can remember ;)

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
chimmike said:
actually, that's incorrect. it's highly recommended that a timing belt be replaced at every 60,000 mile interval, this has been true for as long as I can remember ;)
Depends on the car, my Subaru was 60,000, my old Audi was 75,000
I am sure some of the newer cars are longer....
At least with Nissan going to chains on the Sentra's in 91 ??, we don't have to worry so much.
Good Luck...

·