Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
SILENT_RUNNER said:
Is the ride/idle rougher?
Can't really tell that much of a difference. Maybe just a hair louder at idle, but still very very reasonable :D

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there M|22......

You go from barely reaching your break-in after over a month of ownership to laying down a 30 foot strip of rubber! Damn you're a whole different animal with a mod in place, I'm afraid to see what you'll be doing when you get your CAI :D.

So the Service Dept. is trippin now? They were cool with it when they did mine on Tuesday no warning to keep it secret or hassle or anything, they said they'd never had the request before but that was it. Guy just said he'd "research it" then came back and said "OK we'll do it". Are you sure you those timing numbers are right? They seem a little backwards, I've got the print-out from the Consult II sitting right here and it says -1 as the original value and +2 as the new value. Maybe the auto is set one degree less than the manual so it'll be less aggressive. Oh and for those of you wondering about the charge it'll probably be for .5hrs work, at my dealership thats good for $40. And to help with the service dept. what I did was take print-outs of the threads that I found the info in, with the important parts highlighted so they could see that wasn't BSing. Search for "advanced timing" on maxima.org and altimas.net, as well as this thread for ammo.

Told you it was a good mod M|22. I haven't had the chance to pound my car since I got done, but it is definitely more aggressive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
timing

OK, staight from page ec-44 of the service manual it states stock timing---manual trans--15 plus or minus 5 degrees
auto trans-----15 plus or minus 5 degrees(in park or n)

It also does not outline how to adjust the timing anywhere in service manual. I also tried it with consult. It didn't work. It also gave me different reading each tim i tried(beacause the timing always changes). So im am really confused to this subject. I have pictures of the consult readings, but i guess you can post them here? Unless someone wants to host them.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK I don't have the time to scan it and I don't have digicam with me but here is what the printout that they gave me says>

"1st printout, the stock values"

TARGET IGN TIM ADJ

SET VALUE

CORRECTED IGN TIM -1

ADJ MONITOR

CRRCTD IGN TIM -1
ENG SPEED 750rpm
CLSD THL POS ON
IGN TIMING 14BTDC

"2nd printout, the advanced values"

TARGET IGN TIM ADJ

SET VALUE

CORRECTED IGN TIM 2

ADJ MONITOR

CRRCTD IGN TIM 2
ENG SPEED 788rpm
CLSD THL POS ON
IGN TIMING 17BTDC

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
waddy, i probably have the numbers backwards :D i didn't get a printout either, makes me wonder now!

i just told them i wanted the timing advanced 3 degrees, and i assume that's what they did...

you talked to jaime, right?

i saw someone else, who didn't want to do it at first, but finally agreed

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
M|22 said:
waddy, i probably have the numbers backwards :D i didn't get a printout either, makes me wonder now!

i just told them i wanted the timing advanced 3 degrees, and i assume that's what they did...

you talked to jaime, right?

i saw someone else, who didn't want to do it at first, but finally agreed
Yeah I talked to Jaime and he brought a tech over, I think he said he was a head-tech. Guys name was JC, he took the maxima.org and altimas.net printouts and said he had to "research it". Then when they were done (he also adjusted a couple of my setting, just like you did) we went into Jamie's cube and JC gave me the printouts and explained everything to me, I never felt like I had to convince em' much. JC just warned me that the car might run rougher and my MPG would drop a bit, and I was like cool anything for more power, then Jaime challenged me with his Lightning :D.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wonder if I should check up on it and get a printout from another dealer? ;) Just makes me wonder now...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
M|22 said:
Wonder if I should check up on it and get a printout from another dealer? ;) Just makes me wonder now...
Judging by the way you say it's performing I'm sure they did it. but like you said the guy didn't really want to do it, he may have just BS'ed you, did he charge you? Cuz they charged me, for both the setting adjustment AND the timing advance, greedy fuckers! I was prepared to pay for the timing, and it was only $80 total but still they could've done the settings for free, guess everybody over there isn't as cool as Shannon :D.

I'm gonna do what Slurp said over in the .net thread and get em to look at it again next time I go in for service to make sure it's holding the new timing.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm not sure if they charged me or not. I did get some other work done (oil and transmission fluid change) at the same time, so it may have been included in one of those.

I did ask them to change some settings, but I haven't had a chance to see if they were actually changed or not.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
M|22 said:
I'm not sure if they charged me or not. I did get some other work done (oil and transmission fluid change) at the same time, so it may have been included in one of those.

I did ask them to change some settings, but I haven't had a chance to see if they were actually changed or not.
How can you not be sure? They had me in the service dept waiting area for 20 minutes afterwards because they forgot to the oil-change and then I had to go the cashier and pay before I left. What you '03 guy's get an upgraded interior AND free service! Dammit I'm calling the NAACP this is discrimination against non-titanium accented interior car owners! :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hardcore said:
That's what I was thinkin must have bald tires!:)
I drive so little, I still have the nubbies on there. Right under 1k miles since Sept 6th

·
Registered
271 Posts
M|22 said:
I drive so little, I still have the nubbies on there. Right under 1k miles since Sept 6th
Don't burn those tires up to quick 17's can be expensive.:rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I just read through all of the maxima.org and altimas.net postings about this subject. VERY INFORMATIVE.. and in conclusion ... I will wait to have my timing advanced. IF it does yeild us +5hp, then I may have to go through with it, but no one has proof, just "feelings" of extra torque and such. NOt saying that I don't believe em, I'm sure it does pull harder.. I would just like to see it in black and white. Plus i'm in no rush to have a pretty fast a tad faster. Just my input.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hardcore said:
Don't burn those tires up to quick 17's can be expensive.:rolleyes:
True but the Bridgestone stockers SUCK! I drove in the rain yesterday and they really suck! I need to rubber.:mad:

·
Registered
271 Posts
rpny said:
I just read through all of the maxima.org and altimas.net postings about this subject. VERY INFORMATIVE.. and in conclusion ... I will wait to have my timing advanced. IF it does yeild us +5hp, then I may have to go through with it, but no one has proof, just "feelings" of extra torque and such. NOt saying that I don't believe em, I'm sure it does pull harder.. I would just like to see it in black and white. Plus i'm in no rush to have a pretty fast a tad faster. Just my input.
I hashed through this once, Nissan tried this themselves and said you don't gain that much, maybe one tenth in a quarter mile. It would be interesting to see how much you actually gain. Sounds like if you like the low to mid range torque you gain go ahead and have it done.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Buddy02 said:
True but the Bridgestone stockers SUCK! I drove in the rain yesterday and they really suck! I need to rubber.:mad:
I believe the rubber in those tires is too hard, People tell me Dunlops are the same way. If you get new treads it's always good to check around and get a softer tire.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hardcore said:
I believe the rubber in those tires is too hard, People tell me Dunlops are the same way. If you get new treads it's always good to check around and get a softer tire.
I like the BFG KDW's Ihave those on my Cutlass. They are nice!:D

21 - 40 of 82 Posts