Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and searched but I haven't found any detailed guides on how to do this... I don't want to run premium gas, I just want to makes sure my engine is at the maximum degree setting for the time being on 87 octane fuel (I will be using premium here after a while). The maximum setting is 10 degrees on 87 octane right? I read someplace it was 12... I have no experience in this but I hear it's really easy, although no-one mentions how to do it. What all will I need? How is it done? I have a 94 Sentra LE (B13) if that helps any.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
You didn't search very hard for the info... Found this in 3 seconds.

Lew said:
Notes:
- Sometimes the engine will not idle in timing mode. If this happens, start the engine and hold the accelerator to keep the engine running at idle speed while adjusting the idle speed screw.
- Advancing the timing makes the engine run faster, so the idle must be adjusted after changing the timing.

Here is the procedure from the B14 Factory Service Manual

Timing
1. Warm up the engine until the temperature gauge points to the middle
2. open the hood and run the engine at about 2000rpm for about 2 minutes under no-load.
3. Rev engine two or three times under no-load and then run at idle speed for about 1 minute.
4. Turn off the engine and disconnect the throttle position sensor harness connector.
5. Start engine.
6. Rev engine (2000-3000 rpm) 2 or 3 times under no-load, then run engine at idle speed.
7. Check ignition timing with a timing light.
7a. Adjust ignition timing to the desired value by turning the distributor after loosening bolts which secure the distributor.

Idle
1. Rev engine (2000-3000 rpm) 2 or 3 times under no-load, then run engine at idle speed.
2. Adjust idle speed by turning idle speed adjusting screw.
M/T 625 +/- 50 rpm
A/T 725 +/- 50 rpm (in "N" position)
3. Stop engine and connect throttle position sensor harness connector.
4. Start engine
5. Rev engine (2000-3000 rpm) 2 or 3 times under no-load, then run engine at idle speed.
6. Check idle speed.

Lew
I doubt you will feel anything by advancing 2 degrees. There is a bit of difference when advanced to 15 degrees and running premium. Sorry, but if you want your car to be fast, save money.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kindfiend said:
You didn't search very hard for the info... Found this in 3 seconds.

I doubt you will feel anything by advancing 2 degrees. There is a bit of difference when advanced to 15 degrees and running premium. Sorry, but if you want your car to be fast, save money.
I did find that, but it talks about equipment I have never heard of... I'm only 15 and am fairly new to my sentra or any car for that matter.

This is what I need help on-
7. Check ignition timing with a timing light.
7a. Adjust ignition timing to the desired value by turning the distributor after loosening bolts which secure the distributor.
First off where is the distributor? If I remember right it's the thing with all the spark plug wires right? Also how much are timing lights? Will Autozone check the timing for free?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
pimpride said:
I did find that, but it talks about equipment I have never heard of... I'm only 15 and am fairly new to my sentra or any car for that matter.

This is what I need help on-
then I suggest doing a lot more reading about cars in general before you do any mods.

Seriously, it's for your own good. Refrain from posting any new questions or threads. Search around the board using different keywords, read the stickies, stuff like that. It'll help you tremendously.

Oh, and word to the wise, you won't get hp by spending as little as possible. The more $5-10 mods you do to get 1/3hp, the more money you'll spend on nothing. $$=horsepower. $5-10 mods=$300 for 3-4hp. You can get mroe than that spending $500 on a header.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do know alot about cars in general. The whole point of a forum like this is to ask questions and to get them answered. People who have looked come here after no avail elsewhere. This is why I am here. If you can't answer my question then feel free not to post.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
pimpride said:
The whole point of a forum like this is to ask questions and to get them answered.
This is why I'm 22 and you're 15. Your maturity level is not as high as mine and I'm going to be nice to you.

The point of the forum is to get help. It is not to just ask questions repeatedly without giving a decent amount of effort to find the information yourself. This is why we have stickies here, and a HUGE database to hold old threads, so that information is easily accessible to those who do wish to find it.

You'll realize that if you post a number of threads asking repetitive questions, you will be more and more directed HERE and have threads locked.

Case in point (you should have read this as it is required reading) read the 4th bullet http://www.nissanforums.com/showpost.php?p=407524&postcount=3

It is not to be a dick to you, it is to help you learn.

A wise man once said "Knowledge is not knowing everything, but knowing how to find the answers"

So, please continue to be a member of this forum, but please take this advice into account.

Like the 1st response to your thread said "I found this in 3 seconds". Just try different keywords. Spend some time reading through threads. While you may not get the EXACT answer you look for in the first thread you read...there's a ton of information you might read that will come in handy later down the road.

Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
chimmike said:
The point of the forum is to get help. It is not to just ask questions repeatedly without giving a decent amount of effort to find the information yourself. This is why we have stickies here, and a HUGE database to hold old threads, so that information is easily accessible to those who do wish to find it.
Hey, chimmike, I've used this particular Usenet post for a long time to teach people HOW to ask for technical help on Internet forums. While it's particular to computer technical/programming requests, I think it's appropriate to anyone looking for tech help - perhaps putting this on a sticky on the General forum might be a help for the newbies?

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way by Eric Steven Raymond (ESR)

Excerpt:

Before You Ask

Before asking a technical question by email, or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:

1. Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
2. Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
3. Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
4. Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
5. Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.
6. If you are a programmer, try to find an answer by reading the source code.

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated that they can learn from the answers.

Regards,
Michael

·
Registered
106 Posts
1. the best thing to do is to read the above posted site. ALOT, i have personaly read it a solid 5 times.

2. down load the full service manual stickied at the top of the GA sub forum.

3. poke around in your engine bay, look up the parts you do not know in the FSM. (tip; use a damp micro fiber cloth to clean your engine bay at the same time...kill 2 birds with one stone. and i mean very very mildly damp, spray on some simple green too)

4. search, then read as many of the threads that result from your search (the first thread will never be the perfect one.....but believe me the info is out there with diagrams posted by lew)

learn about the engines "timing mode" / how to get it in "timing mode" start off by simply checking your timing and not doing anything.

i too came to this site asking many questions that had been asked, i was told to search....sometimes harshly (mike :thumbup: ) but sometimes we need this harshness to make the person help them selves, it cant be spoon fed or you wont learn anything :cheers: <$20 says you hear that EXACT saying in highschool everyday) :thumbup:

look at it like this, you are given a sheet of 20 words that you have never heard of and a dictionary. but instead of useing the dictionary you ask the teacher the definition of each word......what is she going to tell you....it wont be :givebeer: that for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts