Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm a bit confused. I have a 1994 KA24E 2.4L 4x4 and my Haynes manual says that after 1990, you cannot adjust the timing on the engine since it's controlled by the ECU. The service manual makes no mention of how to adjust the timing but yet my distributor has a slot where it's bolted on so that it can be rotated for an adjustment.

Can someone set me straight? Is the Haynes manual incorrect or is it referring to a different engine model?

If i can adjust the timing, what is the proper procedure? Is it described in the service manual somewhere?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Codes are clean...The engine just lacks power...It seems to hit a wall right at 3,000rpm and always has since i got it. The engine gets really loud and rough. It doesn't misfire or anything. I've tried new plugs, i've cleaned the MAF, i've checked for vacuum leaks....no dice. I figured maybe the timing is off.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has 170k on it. It certainly doesn't misfire...it just feel very anemic at or above 3,000rpm. It's completely unusable and i get looks from people if i rev it that high to make it up a hill...

How would the AIV affect this?

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
as the aiv gets old and dirty it cuts off the air supply to the vacumn..

check to see if it is rusted out on the bottom..

while you are there check the coil and ballast for cracks and or damage...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where do i find these things? I just looked at the service manual quickly and don't see a mention of AIV. Is there another name for it?

How about the ballast and coil?

Thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do i find these things? I just looked at the service manual quickly and don't see a mention of AIV. Is there another name for it?

How about the ballast and coil?

Thanks!
Maybe my year KA24E doesn't have an AIV? It's a 1994 with manual tranny.

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
right behind the drivers side head light.

a 6 inch round object with tubes coming from it ..
all the plumbing stuff goes to it..

the coil is on the same side kinda underneath it..

at 170 k miles you are in need of a timing chain ..unless you know it has had it done..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that called the PAIR case as well? That's the only thing i see there in my diagram...

As far as the timing chain...It's not rattling so why fix what aint broken? I don't know if it's ever been done. I bought the truck used in fairly good shape.

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
i am not familair with "pair case" .

rattilng is a well known symptom but it is not the only one..

if it breaks get ready to spend a grand or so ..or another engine..

preventive maintinance is why to fix it if it aint broken..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts