Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a bit now, and can only find clips of 4 cyl engines. I don't want the "ricy" sound on my truck, but i'd like to have something that sounds nice. i'll be replacing my exhaust this week, and i'm looking for some advice. you know, the regular,..asked many times,...exhaust suggestions. i have to stay stock from the manifolds down (y pipe) cuz that is already new. so from the y pipe back is what i'm changing. i just don't know if i'm going to keep the factory sound, or change.
it's a v6 95. so....any suggestions?

thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cat Back kit.

You have a source? So far the searching I've done hasn't hit on one for my 96 HB.

I"d like to find a performance kit (exhaust/intake) - bolt on.

What happens to fuel management system once you start making changes to the intake and exhaust systems? Anything have to happen to the ECU to compensate for the changes?

Thanks -

·
Registered
231 Posts
A cat back system should not effect your emissions system.

I thought they make cat back systems for everything under the sun now...., oh well. You could buy a high flow cat an make your exhaust custom from the cat on back. An exhaust shop should be able to do this for you. I don't think it would be terribly expensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks rbo1577186.

So what kind of perf boost would a cat back exhaust system provide and what might be the downside?

Same question but now add a high flow intake system.

The JC Whitney item is a universal (but JC cust service says it's for a Ford).

This DynoMax I found Nissan hardbody truck exhaust system - Dynomax does have the mandrel bent tubing and is cheaper than the JC Whitney. But doesn't fit my '96 (Dynomax 17446). I've asked the question at the Dynomax site if it would fit the 96 HB.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You won't notice any real performance boost in normal driving. If you ran it hard (4500 rpms or so ++) you will get some small performance gains because it will be a little less restrictive. It will sound OK though.

You may not find a bolt on kit, or find out when you get it that the factory system is welded or now corroded together.

Find a decent local exhaust shop,tell them what you want, and let them give you a quote. It may not be that bad.

Like I said search, there a countless after market exhaust manufacturers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You have a source? So far the searching I've done hasn't hit on one for my 96 HB.

I"d like to find a performance kit (exhaust/intake) - bolt on.

What happens to fuel management system once you start making changes to the intake and exhaust systems? Anything have to happen to the ECU to compensate for the changes?

Thanks -
autopartswarehouse had some, i think they were borla.
i tore the flex pipe and got a local shop to do a custom exhaust from there back with a magnaflow for the same price. i gained a little torque at the bottom end. with these little motors i think the only way to really change the sound is cherrybomb (i once had one on a samurai) a fart can or bigger valves. the trick with custom exhaust is don't go too big or too small so the motor breaths freely but still skavanges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts