Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for a new set of tires for my wife's G20. The car came w/ Bridgestones RE92's which gave us 60,000 miles. I'm thinking of replacing them with RE950s since Costco has those on sale. Any thoughts? I live near Washington, DC and need a good all season tire - no summer tires.

What sizes can I go up to? Car has 195/60r15's. I was thinking about going to 205's. Can I go any wider on the OEM rim?

TIA.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am thinking of a set of RE 950's in the upcoming summer. How much does it cost you at Costco ? I want 195/50/15 by the way. Thanks ! I just wanna have a price in mind.

Michael

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purple B14 said:
I am thinking of a set of RE 950's in the upcoming summer. How much does it cost you at Costco ? I want 195/50/15 by the way. Thanks ! I just wanna have a price in mind.

Michael

Go to costco.com and go the tires section.

I did a quick check for you. They only carry Michilens in that size. $123 XGHT4 to 137 for Exalto. (less $60 off a set of four).

The RE950s come in a 195/60/15 and that's $90 (less $60 off a set of four).

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
Is what they show for pricing the price per tire? If so that's a little expensive. Have you checked tirerack? I have BF Goodrich Traction T/A's on my car that I bought on tirerack.com for $69 a tire and they have since dropped to $63 an tire. They are rated the best in their class and that includes the Bridgestone Potenza RE950. Heres a link to tirerack's chart that rates high performance all season tires.
TireRack's High Performance All Season Tires Rating Chart
I've 2 on my front wheels for the past few months with Bridgestone Potenza RE92's on the rear and there is quite a difference. I was driving around in snow last night for fun and have excellent traction. I can only spin 1st and 2nd gear. As soon as I shift to 3rd the tires catch. Even on a partialy snow covered road I had traction in first gear up to 5k rpms and in 2nd it was barely starting to slip at redline. And considering where you live you will need to drive in snow.

Mitch

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
i got on the front 2 falken azenis 215/55 r16s and they work fine no rubbing actualy it needs a drop with them but the other tires i have on teh back wont fit on the front 205/55 r16s i tink thats what i have

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
Skoodles said:
i got on the front 2 falken azenis 215/55 r16s and they work fine no rubbing actualy it needs a drop with them but the other tires i have on teh back wont fit on the front 205/55 r16s i tink thats what i have
Remember though that he is in the north whereas you are in the south. Up here we have to deal with every type of weather including the worst which is snow and ice. Gotta have rubber that is made for them all. What works down there don't always work up here.

Mitch

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sentra97gxe said:
Is what they show for pricing the price per tire? If so that's a little expensive. Have you checked tirerack? I have BF Goodrich Traction T/A's on my car that I bought on tirerack.com for $69 a tire and they have since dropped to $63 an tire. They are rated the best in their class and that includes the Bridgestone Potenza RE950. Heres a link to tirerack's chart that rates high performance all season tires.
TireRack's High Performance All Season Tires Rating Chart
I've 2 on my front wheels for the past few months with Bridgestone Potenza RE92's on the rear and there is quite a difference. I was driving around in snow last night for fun and have excellent traction. I can only spin 1st and 2nd gear. As soon as I shift to 3rd the tires catch. Even on a partialy snow covered road I had traction in first gear up to 5k rpms and in 2nd it was barely starting to slip at redline. And considering where you live you will need to drive in snow.

Mitch
Thanks for the tip on the BFG's. I hadn't considered them before. So, I read the test and survey by tirerack. I think if all-out performance was the only criteria, I'd go w/ the BFG's. The BFG has the slight edge in the dry conditions for sure. But in the wet, the RE950s had the slight edge. In both cases, the tires were good with the BFG winning overall.

You're right on price. But with Costco's sale, the difference is literally $3/tire. Since we really need the wet's capabilities, I'm leaning towards the Bridgestones, though on any other day it might be the BFG's. The bridgestones also don't have the higher noise issue that owners mention is a tradeoff for the better dry traction. And since the infiniti is a "luxury" car for my wife, I'll sacrifice ultimate performance under the circumstances.

Thanks for everyone's help. Once again, you guys rock.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
Sphinx said:
Thanks for the tip on the BFG's. I hadn't considered them before. So, I read the test and survey by tirerack. I think if all-out performance was the only criteria, I'd go w/ the BFG's. The BFG has the slight edge in the dry conditions for sure. But in the wet, the RE950s had the slight edge. In both cases, the tires were good with the BFG winning overall.

You're right on price. But with Costco's sale, the difference is literally $3/tire. Since we really need the wet's capabilities, I'm leaning towards the Bridgestones, though on any other day it might be the BFG's. The bridgestones also don't have the higher noise issue that owners mention is a tradeoff for the better dry traction. And since the infiniti is a "luxury" car for my wife, I'll sacrifice ultimate performance under the circumstances.

Thanks for everyone's help. Once again, you guys rock.
The Traction T/A V does have a little less traction on wet but I was refering to the Traction T/A H which wins every category except noise comfort but .1. Nonetheless the RE950's are definately close to the Traction T/A's. It's all in what you are specifically looking for in the tire. I choose the Traction T/A because I have had a bad history with driving in snow so the better rating in snow is what attracted me along with the reasonable price. Good to see you are researching thoroughly before buying. Too many people just get any old tire and ussually spend more for a tire that isn't so great. As for noise with the Traction T/A, I know I have yet to hear any noise from the tires except for when I chirp the tires when jumping into traffic but then again I'm always listening to the radio so maybe I'm just not hearing it.

Mitch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts