Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 sentra, replaced the distributor o-ring today and I messed up, before I pulled the distributor I marked the mounting flange and the block but the dist. was so greasy I forgot about the mark and cleaned the distributor, well there went my mark, I lined the dist. up to where I thought it was and when I started the car it ran fine and sounds fine, later when I drove it upon aceleration I noticed a ticking sound, it seems like the higher I rev it the noise will go away. Haven't checked the timing yet will tomorrow, could the engine run and sound like the timing is correct but still be off causing this pinging noise?? Thanks

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
hard acceleration or lugging the engine is where detonation will be most noticable. so, i guess the answer is "yes." check the timing as soon as possible to avoid engine damage.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
turning the distributor in which direction advances or retards the timing? I would need to retard the timing to eliminate the pinging noise right?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
ahardb0dy said:
turning the distributor in which direction advances or retards the timing? I would need to retard the timing to eliminate the pinging noise right?
It's easy to tell. Advancing the timing increases the idle speed, and retarding it slows the idle speed.

Lew

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, duh! LOL, I didn't check the timing but I adjusted the distributor slightly and the noise is gone, have to check the timing over the weekend, thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts