Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just finished paying my late CA Registration, insurance, and smog check. Three days ago, I tried turning over my car, and something wierd happens. The first second at ignition, the car sounds normal. Then suddenly, it dies, the check lights cut out, and the car seems dead. If left at the on position, one of the relays at the fuse block starts rapidly clicking, like opening and closing real fast. looking at the gauge cluster, the check lights are on, but extremely dim, and flashing in time with the relay. Anyone think its something more serious or should I just get some replacement relays from the junkyard? I think I've pinpointed the ticking relay, but I'm off to the FSM to double check.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, battery is fine. All accessories, lights, work fine and don't show the usual signs of low current. The symptoms described only show by turning the key to the 2nd on/ignition position.

·
Registered
89 Posts
thats odd, might need a pro to look at. generally a clicking realy is good though. although one goin crazy is odd. i know most Nissans when the bat is low will make a rapid clicking noise when you try to start them.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
i have to ditto on the battery...although it may not be the battery itself, check the wires, connections...and ground!!

you can have enough power getting through perfectly for lights and accessories, but the starter will take a few hundred amps to get going and that can overload bad wires/battery and not start then a few relays will go crazy for a few seconds. if you have a multi meter the check continuity on ground wires and the wire to the starter. also make sure the engine is properly grounded to the frame.

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome

Thanks for the advice. I double checked all the connections to the starter, and it turned out that the bolt holding the grounding wire came loose. I tightened it up, and she starts right up. So it was a grounding issue.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Galimba1 said:
Thanks for the advice. I double checked all the connections to the starter, and it turned out that the bolt holding the grounding wire came loose. I tightened it up, and she starts right up. So it was a grounding issue.
Good to hear. Thats a lot cheaper than thinking about replacing the battery huh :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts