Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 sentra 1.8s with 2 1/4 in. custom cat back exhaust and hotshot cai. The exhaust has a greddy muffler on it.

So today i was driving home from school in mild traffic. I was doing somewhere around 35 to 40mph in 3rd gear and i started slowing for traffic so i down shifted to 2nd when all of the sudden i get the sirens from an unmarked cop car.

The cop questioned me about my after market exhaust and said it wasnt legal in NY, but i think it is. I didnt remove the cats and i had it done by a reputable shop.

Any ideas on how to beat this ticket w/o paying the $75 or removing my exhaust which i will never do? The situation isnt gonna get better either b/c i orderd hotshot header a few days ago so my car will only be getting louder.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
just go to court and plead innocent. sure it takes some time, but if its legal they gots nothing on you.

·
I miss good ol' OT
1,716 Posts
Do your research. Read up on the NY State Law and how it pertains to vehicles.

Chances are the cop knows his stuff, so evidently your car is borderline.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
any and all after market exhausts are legal. the nastiness comes around the ACCUAL LAW. there is no restriction.........no "max" DB level or any thing. it is left to the officers judgment. if he feels your exhaust is loud/annoying then he has the right to tell you...."get that fixed" and thats that.

the fix it could be as simple as simply getting a removable silencer :thumbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got pulled over once for my exhaust being to loud, he didnt give me a ticket though, cause he was full of shit, when it happened my car was completely stock. I would fight it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
myoung said:
exactly

Then spend another $75 and have a good quality resonator installed after the cat.

or better yet, buy something like a Stromung that doesn't have a 5 inch tip that attracts police.

yeah resonators rock. i got one and when i get a 3inch exhaust im going to get an even bigger resonator than i had before. Being loud is OK for the first few days but then it got on my nerves and i really dont want attention from ricers or cops. so yeah resonator you should get.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
a nice "matte" paint finish is also a very good thing........... not flat black (thats just kinda stupid looking) but if you dare, find some "flatish" silver, just get rid of a the chrome finish. cops are like badgers........once they find a shiny object (on a car) they wont let it go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts