Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Australia.

Has anyone fitted a Throttle Body Spacer to their exy or have any information on whether it gives the claimed increase in hp and tq. As I use my exy for off-road driving and will soon be going up another tyre size to help the clearance issues, I want to get some power back that larger tyres take away.

I have researched the U.S. QR25DE forums (our engine spec) and Spec-V forums (which shares the xtrail engine also) and this mod is very common, with most claiming better low down torque and smoother acceleration.

·
Registered
280 Posts
bas said:
Hi from Australia.

Has anyone fitted a Throttle Body Spacer to their exy or have any information on whether it gives the claimed increase in hp and tq. As I use my exy for off-road driving and will soon be going up another tyre size to help the clearance issues, I want to get some power back that larger tyres take away.

I have researched the U.S. QR25DE forums (our engine spec) and Spec-V forums (which shares the xtrail engine also) and this mod is very common, with most claiming better low down torque and smoother acceleration.
88pathoffroad has useful info on this forum. Search "throttle body and CAI".

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
I have the Outlaw Engineering throttle body and intake manifold spacers on the X-Trail. They were easy to install, but I did not do back-to-back dyno pulls to see how much (if any) horsepower they were worth.

The reason I chose to buy them, was that I was removing my manifold assembly eitherways to get to the butterfly screws, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I also have a ported throttle body, and out of the three the porting made the most difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the ported throttle body gave the best result, what is it, how is this done and why is it better ?

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
From wikipedia Throttle body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Porting a throttle body is done by using a dremel and removing material from the diameter opening and exit. This increases air flow into the engine. A throttle body can also be match-ported to the intake manifold so air enters with the least interruption into the engine.

From your mod list on your signature, I say if you want more power to ditch the factory intake system for a CAI and also the factory exhaust manifold for a header.

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
Terranismo said:
From your mod list on your signature, I say if you want more power to ditch the factory intake system for a CAI and also the factory exhaust manifold for a header.
Glad I wasn't the only one who said exactly the same thing to Brett ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys, but the CAI is definitely out of the question. I spend too much time in the dirt and gravel and the risk of a hydro-lock would always be there. As for the header (extractors), they have been considered, but the $$$ seem a little too much at present. Looks like it's a port and polish for me.

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
Brett, you can safely change the term CAI with a better one suited to your needs/adventures, it's called a Snorkel LOL :)

Yes, these mods need $$$$ but what performance mod doesn't? It all depends on how far you wanna take this hobby to I guess and what are your personal motives and reasons for doing them.

I know mine for sure. hehehehe :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jalal,
I would LOVE to add a 'raised CAI' (snorkle), but apart from a few DIY models out there, I haven't seen one I like. I was thinking about a short air ram, for the cooler months, but that is another thread (topic) all together.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just installed a Kaos throttle body spacer in the exy and the difference is more than noticeable. It pulls better, revs lower at 100kph, but has more drive from lower gears. My air intake system is stock (apart from removing the resonators) and my headers/cat are stock. I have a cat-back dual exhuast system, but this device is unreal. I have previously installed the 'Hilcone' device, which was s**t. This is UNREAL.

·
Registered
280 Posts
aussietrail said:
I agree with Brett and I have fitted mine before he did LOL YES!! he difference is amazing in terms of power. No dyno runs to prove the gain, but it can certainly be felt across the entire RPM range.
Jalal,

Do you have a link to the KAOS TB?

Thanks!

Eddie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
280 Posts
bas said:
Eddie (and others),

There are several ways to purchase the tbs, either via Ebay or the Sentra forum. See below. The same guys owns both.
Bas, thanks. I noticed from the pics on the site that this TBS has got an interesting variation on the helix.

The dyno test gains were impressive, but I am trying to find out why his stock SER only pulled 130+ horsepower when its factory spec is 165.

Please keep us posted of any MPG gains as well.

Eddie

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
LEONGSTER said:
Bas, thanks. I noticed from the pics on the site that this TBS has got an interesting variation on the helix.

The dyno test gains were impressive, but I am trying to find out why his stock SER only pulled 130+ horsepower when its factory spec is 165.

Please keep us posted of any MPG gains as well.

Eddie
It's called driveline loss. Power sapped by the drivetrain (clutch, flywheel, axles) and rotating assemblies (accesorry pulleys, etc).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
Terranismo
Nissan Forum
Nissan Forums is the go to place to talk about your favorite Nissan model, including the Rogue, Maxima, Altima and even sports cars like the 370Z and 200SX.
Full Forum Listing