Nissan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have replaced my throwout bearing for the second time and it has gone bad again i have an '89 240 with the redtop sr and a excedy stage2 3puck clutch. when i installed it i was sure to grease it up with high temp grease and i have been driving it around for about 2 months now and just yesterday it went bad on me again so what is going wrong? when i drive i'm sure to put it in neutral at stop lights and let off the clutch so there isn't pressure on the throw out bearing and i make sure i don't ride the clutch when i take off and shift i don't know what is going wrong.:lame:

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i used oem. the first one was the one that came with the clutch and it failed in about 2 weeks and then the second one was oem and it lasted 2 months and i greased the hell out of both of them with high temp. should i look at getting an aftermarket?

· Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,653 Posts
Check your clutch pedal free play. Make sure there's enough. It should be 9 - 16 mm (0.35 - 0.63 in). Hold a ruler against the floor and up to the top of the pedal pad. Take a reading on the ruler at the pedal pad in the resting position. Now push on the pedal pad very gently until resistance is felt; at this point take the new reading on the ruler. Subtracting the two readings will give you the free play spec.

To adjust the clutch pedal free play, adjust the pushrod for the clutch master cylinder which is located under the dash at the top of the pedal assembly. The pushrod has a locknut which must be loosened. Now the pushrod can be adjusted.

If there's no freeplay, then the throwout bearing will spin all the time, thus wearing it out prematurely.

· Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
8,653 Posts
It looks like maybe the clutch pressure plate spring pressure is so great as to cause premature throwout bearing wear. I don't know if you pick up an extra heavy duty thowout bearing.

· Registered
126 Posts
2nd on the heavy duty TOB. There are quite a few cluthes out there that need a HD setup. OS Giken is one for sure. Try giving Kuah @ SPL Parts a call. He had the one for my Z32 in stock. Might be able to help you out! Good Luck!

· Registered
1,203 Posts
i used oem. the first one was the one that came with the clutch and it failed in about 2 weeks and then the second one was oem and it lasted 2 months and i greased the hell out of both of them with high temp. should i look at getting an aftermarket?
the tob for the exedy clutch has a larger diameter than the oem tob. you need to use the one that exedy gives you.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so i talked with a guy that works on sr engines at a local shop and he has helped me out before. he said that he has seen this problem quite often with sr engines that have an aftermarket clutch. he was saying the tabs on the throw out fork tend to get worn down and cause the tob to go cockeyed and just not sit straight when pushed into the clutch pressure plate which causes the tob to wear out really fast. so i was curious on what throw out forks are compatible with the sr tranny... i hope there is something cause i need this bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.