Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing short shifters on ebay and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on these. Is it worth it? Is it so generic that I dont have to worry about it, or should I look elsewhere?

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
i wouldn't bother with a short throw at all, you dont need it. IMO the limiting factor for shifting is the clutch foot, not the shift arm. so, i think if you just spent the time to practice quick shifting you could save yourself some money and time.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i would love a short shifter. my shifter is like 5 feet tall, ive tried it with the boot all the way down, and just that is a great improvement :eek: it turns shifts into just a flick of the wrist as opposed to a whole upper body work out :D

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
well i used to be a drummer in a ska band...so fast arm motions are no problem for me...i never considered other's would find them difficult.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Tavel said:
well i used to be a drummer in a ska band...so fast arm motions are no problem for me...i never considered other's would find them difficult.
its not bad (stock). i mean its a 25 second (1/4 mile) economy car :eek:, so i dont expect it to have the best shifter, but theres plenty of room for improvement

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RBI*04 said:
its not bad (stock). i mean its a 25 second (1/4 mile) economy car :eek:, so i dont expect it to have the best shifter, but theres plenty of room for improvement

Exactly. I am just getting tired having to reach so far to shift. I dont really mind the height, but the distance is getting kind of old

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
I dont know about your car and its shifting, but for the spec v, everyone that has gotten a short shiter thinks it makes a world of difference. And it does. I wouldnt drive the car without one. It made it like 46% shorter or something, its very noticable and shifting is a lot quicker. (Of course your foot plays a big role too, for you to shift faster)

·
Registered
95 Posts
B&M Short Shifter!!!

Just installed my B&N short shifter on my 04 Spec V. Well worth it! It was a little tedeous but the install went smoothly enough. On the road the tour through the gears are sharp and have a good overall feel to them. A lot better than stock. Plus no more noise and miss shifts. :hal: :hal:

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
well he didn't say what car he has, which makes a huge difference. the gearbox on the 1.6L feels mushy and stridey. but the 2.0L has a precise feel to it, shifts feel tight and clean. i dont think shifts are longer than 6 inches on the 2.0, i'd probably hurt my hand if it were shorter.

of course is also has to do with the clutch(i have OEM type), oil ( i use redline MT90), and motor mounts ( i THINK the previous owner replaced with stiffer mounts). stiffer mounts will greatly aid in not missing gears, and better oil will help the synchros engage faster-which enables you to shift faster/easier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tavel said:
well he didn't say what car he has, which makes a huge difference. the gearbox on the 1.6L feels mushy and stridey. but the 2.0L has a precise feel to it, shifts feel tight and clean. i dont think shifts are longer than 6 inches on the 2.0, i'd probably hurt my hand if it were shorter.

of course is also has to do with the clutch(i have OEM type), oil ( i use redline MT90), and motor mounts ( i THINK the previous owner replaced with stiffer mounts). stiffer mounts will greatly aid in not missing gears, and better oil will help the synchros engage faster-which enables you to shift faster/easier.

My bad. The car is a 94 XE 1.6

·
Registered
120 Posts
angryface said:
The car is a 94 XE 1.6
I can't speak about other cars, but it gives a much tighter feel on my 92 1.6 NX. I have a B&M shifter, does have a slight buzz cruising at highway speed but certainly shifts better. When you get one, make sure you get an ES bushing (not needed with B&M) because that also enhances the upgrade.

I wouldn't say it makes a world of difference, but all of the small upgrades combine to make your car more fun to drive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll let you know...

I ordered one from eBay (for my 94 SE-R) and it should be here tomorrow or the next day. Check back here and I'll let you know about the install, instructions, and practicality of the short shifter; or at least my opinion.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I've never been a fan of short shifters. I don't think there's anything wrong with them mind you, I just associate them with other parts that are commonly installed with "poser" items, like pedals, white gauges, shift boots and knobs, etc. However a short shifter is actually useful, so if you want one, go for it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
angryface said:
I keep seeing short shifters on ebay and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on these. Is it worth it? Is it so generic that I dont have to worry about it, or should I look elsewhere?
I recently installed a b&m shifter on my '93 se-r.
Stock shifter was getting a little worn after 140k miles.
Shifts with the B&M are much more precise, I like it.
It's a personal preference though.
I'd recommend finding someone who has one installed and try it first to see if you'll like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts