Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97XE is really doggy when on an incline. I've never played with intakes etc. on a 4cyl. Has anyone made this mod to their truck and if so was the performance increase anything worth writing home about? I'm not looking to turn my truck into a performance vehicle, just maybe get a slight improvement in gas mileage while adding a bit of power. The factory intake and pipe seems a little bit convoluted to me. Seems like the air has lots of places to get dammed up inside that thing. But I could be wrong.

·
Hardbody Freak
2,673 Posts
i like the k & n filter.

you might see some difference.

the 4x4 is heavy and the most ur gonna get is 17 or 18 mpg..imo.

keep it tuned up .
keep the tires inflated properly .( i keep mine at 40 psi)

make sure brakes are working properly.

and as always lighten the load..

·
I miss good ol' OT
1,716 Posts
My 97XE is really doggy when on an incline. I've never played with intakes etc. on a 4cyl. Has anyone made this mod to their truck and if so was the performance increase anything worth writing home about? I'm not looking to turn my truck into a performance vehicle, just maybe get a slight improvement in gas mileage while adding a bit of power. The factory intake and pipe seems a little bit convoluted to me. Seems like the air has lots of places to get dammed up inside that thing. But I could be wrong.
If you are talking about just swapping out a stock Fram filter with a K&N, then you will notice very little gain in either HP or fuel savings. But if you are talking about replacing the entire intake system from filter back to the manifold, then you can see a much more significant increase in both. I say "can see" as opposed to "will see" (in terms of MPG gain) because most people who do perform the swap tend to enjoy the performance gain and the new sound coming from under the hood and romp on the gas whenever possible. Obviously this will decrease MPG.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts