Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I did a clutch install. I never pulled a tranny before so this was my first learning experiance. Had a hell of a time disconnecting the tranny from the block but I managed.

Well, I removed the throw out bearing and replaced it. I put the clips on the new one without hooking it up to anything In the transmission. I didnt notice them being hooked up on the stock one so I didnt think anything of it.

Well when I buttoned everything back together, The clutch pedal was firmer then stock, (used a xtd stg3?) The pedal stayed like that for 5-6 clutch disengages. Then the pedal went to the floor.

Now I have to pull the tranny again and figure out where those clips hook too!

Aggravating but It shall get done.

More of a rant then anything. I learned alot.

·
Registered
734 Posts
those clips attach to the engaging fork.

its really easy to have the throw out bearing to come off the fork when installing, just have to be careful.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
And you need new ones because they bend when you take off the old TO bearing from the fork,,,,or at least mine did and some others have had this problem...

·
Registered
734 Posts
i usually take them off with a screw driver, to eliminate any bending.
if the wear is not really bad i just use them over, but in some cases its best to get new clips.

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
I ended up having to take my tranny off two extra times on a clutch install because of those stupid clips. O well I can take my tranny off really fast now. :)

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
No special tools really. I think the service manual calls for a special tool to put the axles back in, but a 2.5lb hammer worked just fine for me. An impact wrench was definitely a life savor cause the motor mounts and axle nuts were on there tight. I changed it on my own, with only a little help to take the tranny off and to lift it back on, and I had never done it before. Just give yourself plenty of time, I tried to hurry and ended up making it harder on myself. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
How difficult is it to do a clutch install? Any special tools, jacks needed?
FWD Sentra SX200 GA16DE clutch job. Ok here is my list and lessons learned.

1) You must have stands to support the car, both wheels must come off
2) Socket to remove axle nut and large breaker bar or gas pipe, this is over 150 ft lbs
3) Pry bar to pop the axles out, 15 inches or larger. (Long thinner screw driver if an Auto to push out second axle.)
4) Torque wrench(es).
5) Trans Oil for re-fill (Manual this is GL 4, NOT hypoid or GL 5, Redline MT90 preferred.
6) Jack to support transmission.
7) Watch out for hidden transmission bolt next to firewall
8) New Throw Out bearing clips,2, Nissan Part.
9) The pilot bearing in the Clutch kits IS NOT USED for GA16DE
10) The alignment tool doesn’t work well because of this.
11) I used long 4 inch bolts with heads cut off, slot cut in for flat blade screw driver to remove, to align and support the transmission.
12) Threads in Transmission are brittle and will strip out if you don’t have 3 or 4 turns before you start to tighten, be careful, I needed to purchase a few longer bolts after I striped the first turn or two.
13) Don’t use your good torque wrench for the axle nut at 150 ft lbs, buy a $10 pointer and scale type.

And don't forget to download the FSM....at Phatg20.net for free.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks akexnads & IanH.

How heavy is the tranny? I assume with a helper I can unbolt it and lower it down? Maybe with the help of a regular jack underneath? I have done axles, struts, etc, but never dropped a tranny yet.

Ian's long bolt trick probably will come in handy when put it all back together.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
My transmission jack was to large to get in there so i used a regular 2 1/2 or 3 ton jack with a big saddle. No its not too heavy, i did it single handed.
I struggled to get the transmission back and aligned with the clutch.
In the end the long bolts used as guides were how i did it.
I purchased 4 but only used three, cut the heads off with a dremel, put in a slot so you can unscrew them.
screw them into the block and then slide the transmission on.
Then wiggle it around till you get it aligned, then bolt it up lightly with the remaining bolt holes that are free. once the dowels are engaged remove the guides.
bolt up the rest of the bolts.
Good luck....

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
O yeah one more trick. If you thread another longer bolt into the tranmission, I think where the clutch cable bracket was, it gives you a great place to help lift and move the tranny. Helped me out a ton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts