Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime i get between 10-0 vaccum i hear a loud whistling coming from my turbo i believe it gets worse as it boosts and im afraid its about to go out any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
are you building boost at all?
a whistle sounds like a boost/vacuum leak.

·
Registered
60 Posts
could just be boost leak.Have you ever taken ur turbo off or maybe upgraded to a custom turbo manifold? I did and it gave me some simular issues due to shotty gaskets,fixed it though.And look at the flipside,if ur turbo burns out its time time upgrade! May a suggest a T3/T4?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ha i havent done anything to the turbo yet. i was actually thinking about upgrading now. dumb question but what if there is the difference between a top mount turbo and a bottom

·
Registered
60 Posts
theres a difference,couldnt tell you what it is though,I hear the top mount manifolds are better than the bottom mounts,but I think its all about preference,its jus easier to get to your turbo if youre top mounted.Ive got a custom manifold on my RB,saw a slight increase in get up and go,bottom mounted though.If you buy a top mount designed turbo u gota buy a top mount manifold for it,$100+ on ebay all day long.Suggest you buy an electronic boost controller if you dont all ready have one,Ive watched friends of mine grenade their SR's due to upgrading the turbo and overboosting.can you say "GRENADA!!"?

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
Top mount manifolds place the turbo parallel to the head and allow you the freedom of turbo choices like size and type(depending on the manifold itself) Bottom mount manifolds restrict certain size turbos due to space constriction near the crank case. There are no top or bottom mount turbos only manifolds

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ive heard that some turbos are designed to be topmounted,though ive never seen one that demanded that kind of specification,ive never really looked into it,personally i jus wanna see if I can get 300hp while still armed with my stock turbo,then ill upgrade. So top or bottom mount manifolds are simply a matter of preference,right?

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
Either preference, limitation or aftermarket demand...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts