Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to post here because there are obviously quite a few Audio enthustiasts here! Anyways, here's a few of my options for systems, I will probably ask for subs and amp(s) for x-mas and build boxes and install myself w/ friends. Anyways, here are some:

JBL GTi 10" - Single
JL Audio W3 10" - Pair
JL Audio W6 10" - Single
MTX Thunder 4000 (Old model) - Pair, maybe even 3 for the price
Diamond Audio CM3 10" - Pair

I can get a great deal on the Diamonds from a friend who's selling one of those to go to the M6 model. MTX's sound damn good for 10's w/ not so much power running through them. Heard a pair a GTi's from a friend before they got jacked. I can't even describe those! Never heard the W6's or W3's before. Also, I don't know yet but I'm thinking of running the Fosgate 250M series Amp because it's just plain and simple badass. Any other reccomendations that won't shoot me? I don't want to get WAAAY up there in price b/c I want a lot of this stuff for x-mas and have to tell my mom and all grandparents by end of the week. Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used to have a pair of mtx thunder 4000's in a bandpass box in the trunk (it was a little unbearable to much bass for me). They sounded good though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have a pair of JL 10" W3's in my car and they sound great. they are powered by a 600x3 hifonics zues amp. so i'd go with the W3s if i were you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
JL, stick with those. It depends, do you want sound deafening bass? Sound quality bass? Which one?

SQ- I'd go with some infinity perfects, or the jl's
SPL-I'd go with a digital design, Resonant engineering

Also, it depends on ur amp. That's the major factor, how many watts RMS??? From the 3 subs you chose, go with the W6, but I'm sure the W3 x 2 would be better, since it's 2 subs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
so is there any answer in that last post? you like said you'd choose 5 out of a choice of 2. haha.... the MTX thunders sound good. i have a pair of 10" @ 200W each. i like 12"s better tho. deeper bass. (12"s for rap, and stuff w/ mad crazy bass; 10"s for rock, etc... stuff w/ real instruments)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for not posting! Anyways, I want both. I want good bass but I want it to be clean. My friends old GTi's were really crisp and clear and had unbelievable bass. I wouldn't mind getting 2 GTi's...but $$$!! The W6's are mighty badass. Although I'm considering some MTX's right now just because they're dirt cheap compared to the other ones, and I wouldn't mind getting a few. I would do a setup like Samo's truck, except both side and possibly even take out my spare and plexi-glass over another one in there. But anyways, to make this short...I would like clean crisp bass over sound deafening bass. But I want it to be heard!

Samo, if you read this, what are the size specs on your little box?

·
Registered
393 Posts
i would go w/ 2 or 3 10"s i guess. if youre gonna build a custom box, stay within the recommended air space specs that'll come w/ the subs. go to www.crutchfield.com they have invaluable information on what the numbers mean and everything

·
Registered
145 Posts
You want to shake the car? You need more than one sub, more subs=more air moving around=piss people off. I'd go with the 3 10's like vivid said.

Vivid, I did mention a lot of subs, but if you can read correctly I listed which ones serve which purpose. Please, don't try to hate others cause of your A.D.D.

BTW, search the web. You'll find some great deals on subs. I personally don't like MTX, cause I had a MTX8000 and an infinity perfect, MTX doesn't handle high power, sounds like shit in high power, and the clarity wasn't all that, just look at the specs for SENSITIVITY. I've found that you can look at that and it'll tell you a lot about a sub. The higher the number 90+ the better sound quality. The lower, like 88- the lower sound quality but better SPL, which sounds sort of like shit, but that's probably just me cause I like sound quality.

Check out infinity!

·
Registered
339 Posts
mirrortints said:
You want to shake the car? You need more than one sub, more subs=more air moving around=piss people off. I'd go with the 3 10's like vivid said.

Vivid, I did mention a lot of subs, but if you can read correctly I listed which ones serve which purpose. Please, don't try to hate others cause of your A.D.D.

BTW, search the web. You'll find some great deals on subs. I personally don't like MTX, cause I had a MTX8000 and an infinity perfect, MTX doesn't handle high power, sounds like shit in high power, and the clarity wasn't all that, just look at the specs for SENSITIVITY. I've found that you can look at that and it'll tell you a lot about a sub. The higher the number 90+ the better sound quality. The lower, like 88- the lower sound quality but better SPL, which sounds sort of like shit, but that's probably just me cause I like sound quality.

Check out infinity!
Sensitivity has nothing to do with how good or how bad a sub sounds. The box (properly built) and the amp you use will determine that. Sensitivity is just a measure of how efficient a sub is. The higher the number...the less power it needs to perform well, and the lower the number...the more power it will need. It has nothing to do with sound quality.:p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Okay, so is it a coincidence that the top sound quality subs have a high efficiency and the spl subs have a very low efficiency??? I guess that's a coincidence. I don't have anything to back me up, but there's gotta be a link between the two.

·
Registered
339 Posts
mirrortints said:
Okay, so is it a coincidence that the top sound quality subs have a high efficiency and the spl subs have a very low efficiency??? I guess that's a coincidence. I don't have anything to back me up, but there's gotta be a link between the two.
That is not always the case. Take the JL 12W7 for example. It was designed as a SQ sub and has a sensitivity rating of 86 dB. The sensitivity measurement is typically a direct reflection of the motor structure of the sub. The bigger the motor structure is, the more power it is going to require to move the speaker, so the lower the sensitivity.:p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Aight, well I didn't know the W7's were 86 db's. You make a good point there. And, before I say that I was wrong......How much are the JBL GTi's? I had some old JBL 15's and they weren't very impressive. They never blew, but they weren't awesome.

·
Registered
339 Posts
mirrortints said:
Aight, well I didn't know the W7's were 86 db's. You make a good point there. And, before I say that I was wrong......How much are the JBL GTi's? I had some old JBL 15's and they weren't very impressive. They never blew, but they weren't awesome.
You are not completely wrong in your asssumptions, as quite a few subs w/ lower sensitivity ratings are designed for higher SPL numbers whereas many of the subs with higher sensitivity ratings are better suited for SQ applications. It isn't a standard that is set in stone though...as there are many subs that contradict that train of thought. I am not too familiar w/ the JBL line of subs so I cannot comment on their performance. But overall, the performance is directly related to the enclosure that it is in. The box can either make or brake a sub in terms of performance. I personally don't really care much for the sound of a 15" myself (I think a 12 would be as big as I would go)...but that is just my opinion...and everyone is entitled to their own.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, anyone have suggestoins? I'm kind of feeling the W3's right now...2 of 'em.

·
Registered
354 Posts
sensitivity also has alot to do with mass of the cone in conjuction with motor strength. you will find that excurtion also has alot to do with SPL. IMO stick with JL i has a set of 10"w3's in a box that i designed on the computer with a program and built in my woodshop and let me say it was loud as hell on only 90 watts per speakerr (120 db's). the box with ANY speaker is the key to its performace. make a box around the speaker and your golden.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd have to agree with them, the box makes a big diff. If you are feelin the W3's get them. As long as you don't try to still think about diamond and mtx subs at the same time you think about jl subs, you are okay. Totally different class! JL subs are on a totally diff level.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh man I know they're like 20 times better than MTX probably. But Diamond is one kickass company too. But anyways, the only reason I'm NOT considering them is the $$$. But I talked to my grandma and she said she'll just give me some money to get some speakers. So I'll probably end up getting the W3's!! What, like 180-200 a pop? Yeah, won't be that bad.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not how it works. Typically you need to make the cone and all the soft parts heavy duty to take lots of watts for SPL (like the surround, spiders, etc.). This makes it heavier, making a stronger magnet necessary.

Think of a Protege MP3 against a Corvette. The Mazda has much smaller rims, yet it manages to get some impressive cornering numbers. The corvette has much wider rubber, but its also heavier as well. When you add more power, you need big brakes, and a heavy structure to support it. Same with woofers.

By the same token, a 43 pound magnet on a speaker that handles 100 watts is possible, but makes no sense. Its overkill and would make the speaker price prohibitive.

Juan

SentraStyleEMW said:
That is not always the case. Take the JL 12W7 for example. It was designed as a SQ sub and has a sensitivity rating of 86 dB. The sensitivity measurement is typically a direct reflection of the motor structure of the sub. The bigger the motor structure is, the more power it is going to require to move the speaker, so the lower the sensitivity.:p

·
Registered
339 Posts
OldOneEye said:
Not how it works. Typically you need to make the cone and all the soft parts heavy duty to take lots of watts for SPL (like the surround, spiders, etc.). This makes it heavier, making a stronger magnet necessary.

Think of a Protege MP3 against a Corvette. The Mazda has much smaller rims, yet it manages to get some impressive cornering numbers. The corvette has much wider rubber, but its also heavier as well. When you add more power, you need big brakes, and a heavy structure to support it. Same with woofers.

By the same token, a 43 pound magnet on a speaker that handles 100 watts is possible, but makes no sense. Its overkill and would make the speaker price prohibitive.

Juan
That is just what I said...the bigger the motor structure, the more power it requires to make it perform well. Typically this equates to higher SPL numbers but is not always the case. I was just pointing out the JL W7 series sub as an example. It has a huge magnet, large motor structure, and requires lots of power...but it was designed as a SQ sub.

Stronger, more rigid cone materials, larger magnets not only allow for higher SPL...but also provide better overall control of a driver for SQ if designed properly.:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts