Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago I started getting only cold air through my AC/heater regardless of what temperature I set it to. Now my car overheats and when the temperature is very high, the RPM will drop to 2,000 and if I push the accelerator it will "kick" back to 2000 and the effect is similar to something my dad used to do as a joke, stomping the gas and removing immediately, making his old VW Rabbit "hop."

But anyhow I sort of assume it's either a safety feature to keep the engine from expoding, or that the engine can't put out a useful amount of power in that state. Either Way....

Where is the thermostat located on the 1995 Maxima?

I'm a newb here but I'd love your support :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Follow the upper radiator hose to the engine. The part it attaches to on the engine is the thermostat. IIRC it's a $20 or so part. Just three 10mm bolts, pretty easy to get to with the right socket extensions. My friend and I did his Maxima in about 2 hours, including running around like monkeys losing tools. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot! It took me just under 2 hours to remove the offending thermostat, although over an hour of that was spent "running around like a monkey" and trying to brainstorm new tools that would do the job. My dad was helping me and he was cursing the crazy Japanese with their cramped engine compartments, so I cheered him up with the fact that my car was built in Michigan... :cool:

·
Dame tu cola!
336 Posts
damn :jawdrop: 2 hours !!! it took me about 30 min not even 45 min to do it.
but i guess running around like a monkey took a lot of time away lol :loser:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Actual work on the car was about 45 minutes, including draining and refilling coolant.

A great deal of the time lost was dropping the only 10mm standard socket we had and losing it for 5 minutes at a time. Naturally due to the location of the thermostat we couldn't always use the 10mm deep socket, but just for good measure we'd drop it and temporarily lose it too. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts