Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was pulling into my driveway, and I stalled the car (I'm still getting the hang of this stick shift.) When I started up the engine again, the engine wouldn't stop revving up really high, pretty much redlining. I stopped, turned it off and on, same thing. I then just started the car, quickly put it into first, and basically floored it up the rest of the driveway. I can't find out what's wrong with it in the haynes manual, and I can't find a good answer anywhere online.

The gas pedal still works, it's not stuck or anything, and it still turns the throttle. It still turns the valve on the intake. What do you guys think might be wrong with it? I was looking for the throttle position sensor, but couldn't find it, again the haynes manual really isn't very helpful. Someone suggested unplugging the battery for about 30 minutes, which I did and it didn't seem to help. So... ideas?

·
Registered
624 Posts
The TPS is bolted to the throttle plate opposite the cable hookup. If your car keeps revving up without the throttle plate actually being stuck open, I would give it a look. I think you may be able to test it by unplugging it, but you should check the manual to be sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like your throttle cables are suck and are holding your throttle wide open. Look at the throttle and see if there's tension on the cables and see if its holding the valve open, your cables could just be rusted or just bad and need to be replaced. If there's slack on the cables but the throttle valve is still open try moving it by hand, your throttle valve swing arm might be getting stuck or the return spring might be bad. The valve should open smoothly and close on its own.

Let me know if any of these help out, if they down I'll see if I can find out some more for ya

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also check where the cable goes through the firewall on the engine bay side. It can break and kink there.
This was what happened, the lining to the cable got knocked out of the firewall and it was stretching the cable enough to open the throttle ever so slightly. Thanks guys :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts