Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local car audio shop here in Harrisburg, PA. And I heard this boomin even before I walked in!! As I walked in I was expecting 2 12's or something big to be bumpin like that. OH MY GOSH!!! It was just one of these subs (premier ts-sw124d) in a real thin box. I was just wondering if there any way I get this sub behind the backseat? ? ? All I would need is one! I have a 2000 nissan frontier crew cab. You guys gotta here this thing!!! I also have a contour that has 2 12's and this one sub sounded better than my 2 12's.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
Me thinks someone needs to get out and hear more setups, that sub isn't very impressive at all.

normal cone area, incredibly small excursion, and a high price tag. About the only thing that sub has that ones costing half as much don't is a small mounting depth and small required box size. Other than that it's nothing special, it can't handle much power, it can't displace much air...most 10's will get louder than that, and just about any 12 in existance will as well. Keep in mind, it will sound louder in the shop because there's zero background noise and no crappy car acoustics cancelling everything out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont need to hear more setups. I've been into car audio for 11 years and i've won my share of trophies, so I know what i'm doing. But anyway about this woofer. It handles 1200 watts!! You say thats not much? Ive heard all the subs out there, kicker, JL, pioneer, Kenwood, you name it I've heard it. Just because the cone doesnt travel far doesnt mean it doesnt hit hard. Its all about the force of movement, which this sub does very well. I'm not kidding when I say this thing is one of the best sounding subs i've ever heard. Do more research before you knock something. But thanks for the input though.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
SilverStallion said:
I dont need to hear more setups. I've been into car audio for 11 years and i've won my share of trophies, so I know what i'm doing. But anyway about this woofer. It handles 1200 watts!! You say thats not much? Ive heard all the subs out there, kicker, JL, pioneer, Kenwood, you name it I've heard it. Just because the cone doesnt travel far doesnt mean it doesnt hit hard. Its all about the force of movement, which this sub does very well. I'm not kidding when I say this thing is one of the best sounding subs i've ever heard. Do more research before you knock something. But thanks for the input though.

I don't think you quite know who your dealing with...

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
SilverStallion said:
Same goes to you guys.
Alright then, post some pictures and show off. No way to get your name out if you keep kooped up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
Alright then, post some pictures and show off. No way to get your name out if you keep kooped up.
I wish I had some pics to show. But for the last 4 years i've been married with 2 kids and really have'nt been too much in the car audio scene. I dont even have a digital camera. Over the years I have put in countless stereos for people and have had some badd ass systems myself. I wish I would have taken pictures these last couple of years. Anyway, im here to make friends and not be shutdown. I thought it would be nice to share what I heard to people that would like to know.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
I dont need to hear more setups.
:rolleyes:

I've been into car audio for 11 years and i've won my share of trophies
congradulations

so I know what i'm doing
length of experience hardly dictates knowledge or skill

But anyway about this woofer. It handles 1200 watts!!
that comment alone shows that you don't know what you're talking about. That's a 300 watt sub, the 1200 peak rating is marketing propaganda that has absolutely no relation to how much power the sub can take at any one instant or continuous, or how loud it can get.

Ive heard all the subs out there, kicker, JL, pioneer, Kenwood, you name it I've heard it
it sounds like you've heard everything at car toys/tweeter, but you do realize there is a world outside of the local crap right? Do the names Sinfoni, Genesis, or Butler ring a bell? Or how about less exotic companies like DLS, Tru, Brax, or Rainbow? If not you may want to pull your head out of the clouds and open your eyes.

Just because the cone doesnt travel far doesnt mean it doesnt hit hard
in a sealed box, like the one you were referring to in your first post, the displacement of the cone has EVERYTHING to do with output, it is the sole dictator of output in fact, nothing else has any impact except for room/car acoustics, which will be the same for every sub you stick in there. In a ported setup, provided you have the power required to push the sub to full excursion then again, displacement is the most important factor in SPL. If you don't have the kilowatts required to do this around tuning then it depends more on the cone area and motor force, but the cone area of that sub is no different than any other 12" sub and the motor force is actually weaker than most of the other mainstream subs out there.

Do more research before you knock something.
you could say I've done that

·
RAWRscareh
604 Posts
god i love this kid

nice save adam.

seriously though, Pioneer subs leave a lot to be desired. i bet if you put that sub through a bass-mechanik CD, it'd melt itself haha. best test, find the fastest doublebeat drum line you can (doublebass = great :D), play it on that sub, and listen to see if you can actually differentiate between each beat. (i've heard this particular pioneer sub in an accord, and i tried this,....you couldnt hear it)

me and adam (and a few other people on this board) are ridiculously too far into car audio (i know he's dropped nearly $4 or 5 grand on his setup (plus upgrades)...and i'm up to nearly $5000 once i get my Brahma ordered (yes adam, im getting a brahma...i heard one locally...it sealed the deal for me)...not that price has to do with the quality of a system (to a point)...but i can promise you that most of hte "gurus" on here have done more than their fair share of research....i've been putting my current system (see signature) together for nearly 7 months now...and its STILL not done, cause i'm constantly learning new things (and figuring out how the hell to pay for them all lol)

bah, that probably made no sense whatsoever, but i just woke up, i cant make sense yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you know so much why do you drive a sentra? You might read a lot of magazines, but until you've actually heard a certain sub, dont go by what you read in mags. Its not all about spl, im more into the frequency that the whole setup plays at. I like low bass and I listen to a lot of R&B so normal cone area is all I need. And your right about the 1200 watts. That there tells me you know what your doing. So the point is not to out do you in knowledge, because I go by ear and not what all the magazines say. It sounds like you have more time to read than I do. Anyway, have fun with your sentra.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
i know nothing, except for the fact the WTF does his driving a sentra have anything to do with this? If you are making fun of poeple who drive sentras, you may need to leave cause that is over half this site...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not saying sentra's are bad, im just saying if this guy thinks he knows it all, then why did he buy a Sentra. For the price that he paid for his car and his stereo system, he could have bought a better car. Anyway, who was talking to you? Thanks for the input though.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
i live here... and i take offence to the sentra part of your posts, hell you could be driving a better truck too, what the fuck does any of this have to do with your choice in subs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BlankgazeX said:
i live here... and i take offence to the sentra part of your posts, hell you could be driving a better truck too, what the fuck does any of this have to do with your choice in subs?
First of all, its OFFENSE not OFFENCE. But anyway, we all could be driving better cars and trucks, and like I said im not saying they are bad cars. I'm not the type of guy that buys a 500 dollar car and spends 5000 on a stereo. I didnt mean to offend anyone. And by the way, I didnt start all this crap. I just told a story that I thought people would like to hear. And wanted to know if I could fit this in my truck, thats it!! So what if it isnt the best sub in the world. I like it and thats all that counts. I dont think its right that someone questioned my knowledge and skills. I guess some people like to think they are better than everyone else. Sorry about the confusion.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
SilverStallion said:
Im not saying sentra's are bad, im just saying if this guy thinks he knows it all, then why did he buy a Sentra. For the price that he paid for his car and his stereo system, he could have bought a better car. Anyway, who was talking to you? Thanks for the input though.
Man you need to take a step back my friend. Your comments about his Sentra and it's Stereo also apply to you and your frontier... So please don't come here posting crap like this. This is a great forum with a lot of knowledgable people so please help us keep the knowledge and positive attitude flowing by contributing the same!

·
Registered
34 Posts
sr20dem0n said:
I dont need to hear more setups.
:rolleyes:

I've been into car audio for 11 years and i've won my share of trophies
congradulations

so I know what i'm doing
length of experience hardly dictates knowledge or skill

But anyway about this woofer. It handles 1200 watts!!
that comment alone shows that you don't know what you're talking about. That's a 300 watt sub, the 1200 peak rating is marketing propaganda that has absolutely no relation to how much power the sub can take at any one instant or continuous, or how loud it can get.

Ive heard all the subs out there, kicker, JL, pioneer, Kenwood, you name it I've heard it
it sounds like you've heard everything at car toys/tweeter, but you do realize there is a world outside of the local crap right? Do the names Sinfoni, Genesis, or Butler ring a bell? Or how about less exotic companies like DLS, Tru, Brax, or Rainbow? If not you may want to pull your head out of the clouds and open your eyes.

Just because the cone doesnt travel far doesnt mean it doesnt hit hard
in a sealed box, like the one you were referring to in your first post, the displacement of the cone has EVERYTHING to do with output, it is the sole dictator of output in fact, nothing else has any impact except for room/car acoustics, which will be the same for every sub you stick in there. In a ported setup, provided you have the power required to push the sub to full excursion then again, displacement is the most important factor in SPL. If you don't have the kilowatts required to do this around tuning then it depends more on the cone area and motor force, but the cone area of that sub is no different than any other 12" sub and the motor force is actually weaker than most of the other mainstream subs out there.

Do more research before you knock something.
you could say I've done that
OWNED!!!
i really have come to learn since i've been into cars and car audio that age and experience have nothing to do with common sense and knowledge. i'm constantly blown away by the idiocies of nissan techs at the local dealerships.

i too would have liked to jump in and call the bluffs of 'silverstallion' but it was already done. with class i might add.
my treo ss 12 owns joo all :thumbup:

stay tuned for the next battle....
silverstallion attempts to argue that class d is better for sq than class ab.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
SilverStallion said:
First of all, its OFFENSE not OFFENCE. But anyway, we all could be driving better cars and trucks, and like I said im not saying they are bad cars. I'm not the type of guy that buys a 500 dollar car and spends 5000 on a stereo. I didnt mean to offend anyone. And by the way, I didnt start all this crap. I just told a story that I thought people would like to hear. And wanted to know if I could fit this in my truck, thats it!! So what if it isnt the best sub in the world. I like it and thats all that counts. I dont think its right that someone questioned my knowledge and skills. I guess some people like to think they are better than everyone else. Sorry about the confusion.

umm a 2003 sentra prolly cost more then your truck... you need to see the forest for the trees...

oh BTW, i AM better then everyone else...

·
mmmmmm SQ
749 Posts
wow silverstallion, you are beyond naive. Adam handed you your ass and your still around here? Bashing peoples cars i might add. I also take OFFENSE to the sentra comment, I bought my 98 Sentra when i was 16....and it cost me 5500, not 500, and yes I paid for it myself. Why didnt I buy a better car? I couldnt afford one at the time. Car audio became my passion after i bought it, so you need to get off our nuts about it. I'm sure I could say a few things about frontiers, but i wont because im not going to stoop to your level.

Do everyone a favor, take your "11 years of experience" and go somewhere else. I bet you have never even heard of half the equipment in our setups. FYI, Sr20dem0n, Jasper, and I are about sound quality as well, so the "SPL isnt everything" part of your post is the only thing i can agree with you on

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Oh Noes!
A $5000 stereo in a $12,000 car!
http://www.mattblehm.com/pics/old_max/car_stereo/amprack/trunk1.jpg

Man, what an idjit I am.. and it only got me onto the podium at IASCA Finals in 2000...

Even worse...
a $10,000 stereo in a $12,000 car..
http://www.mattblehm.com/pics/car/interior/stereo/amprack/DSC00079.JPG

So umm yeah... keep talking about who's driving a POS and who's got what in it..

That Pioneer sub is inefficient, has almost zilch for excursion, doesn't handle much power, and due to the shape of the cone it simply CAN'T sound good. all of those bumps and ridges totally FUBAR the wavefront coming off the cone.

just those factors alone will keep me from buying one- even for $50.

and stop trying to talk about who knows what around here... Some of us have been more places in car audio than you can ever dream of..

5 yrs ago, I knew my stuff.. I haven't messed much with the industry while I was going to school (electrical engineering, specializing in solid state design and power electronics, so that I can design and build amplifiers.)... The car audio industry has left my system in the dust. my PPI/ODR/Focal setup is nothing compared to the best stuff out there now. I'll still keep my PPI Art Series amps will I die, but the speakers are going out as soon as I can afford some better ones.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Matt93SE said:
Oh Noes!
A $5000 stereo in a $12,000 car!
http://www.mattblehm.com/pics/old_max/car_stereo/amprack/trunk1.jpg

Man, what an idjit I am.. and it only got me onto the podium at IASCA Finals in 2000...

Even worse...
a $10,000 stereo in a $12,000 car..
http://www.mattblehm.com/pics/car/interior/stereo/amprack/DSC00079.JPG

So umm yeah... keep talking about who's driving a POS and who's got what in it..

That Pioneer sub is inefficient, has almost zilch for excursion, doesn't handle much power, and due to the shape of the cone it simply CAN'T sound good. all of those bumps and ridges totally FUBAR the wavefront coming off the cone.

just those factors alone will keep me from buying one- even for $50.

and stop trying to talk about who knows what around here... Some of us have been more places in car audio than you can ever dream of..

5 yrs ago, I knew my stuff.. I haven't messed much with the industry while I was going to school (electrical engineering, specializing in solid state design and power electronics, so that I can design and build amplifiers.)... The car audio industry has left my system in the dust. my PPI/ODR/Focal setup is nothing compared to the best stuff out there now. I'll still keep my PPI Art Series amps will I die, but the speakers are going out as soon as I can afford some better ones.

Nice setups Matt. I couldn't agree more about not keeping up. When I had my Dynaudio Mac setup I knew what was good. That has been some time though and I am now a home audio dork.... I actually still have two A600.2's lying around with an art series spacer that is NIB that I want to incorporate into a new setup!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts