Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nissan Ninja
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone on here keeps saying NOT to use bondo because it pops out easily. I want to remve some lines from the car. The little ding stopper running the length of the door. the little line above it. and the two rain grooves on the roof. I understand that soem things might need metal welded in to fill the gap first. But what do i use for a filler? Is bondo bad? or are all fillers just not good for doing larger fills?

Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
45 Posts
People say alot of stuff about bondo, most of it they dont know what they are talking about.

I just did this to my car, along with shaving all door handles, the trunk lock and front + back bumper lines.

You dont use regular bondo. Get Fiberglass hair bondo. Its in a dark blue tin...costs a little more than regular bondo.

Sand down the area that you wanna put shit on, and then apply. If you really wanna be safe fiberglass it first with a thin layer.

Bondo does not peel if the surface is prepped right. It does however weather and crack in extreme temperature. So make sure to use the fiberglass reinforced bondo instead.

Thats pretty much it, it looks clean when done.

·
Registered
851 Posts
for best results bondo should only be used as a finishing product, all the body lines you wanna fill in should be welded with a filler plate, and then bondo applied over that once youve done METAL work to get the panel AS STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE. bondo should not be thicker than an eighth of an inch at ANY point. i can get pics of a horrible handle shave/bondo job if youd like to see what only using bondo looks like :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thats only a half truth.

You can have bondo more than an 8th of an inch thick with no trouble at all. You just cant fill it with regular bondo, you need a stronger base substance. Yes the idea thing is to weld a plate there, but its more work than needed. My car came out flush, and so have many others ive done. You just have to layer it right. (Sand between layers, base has to be fiberglass.) And the only reason you weld a plate in is to have a backing to put fiberglass over.

Also, welding plates would be worse in his situation because it would cause a hole behind where the plate is welded. This isnt ideal, beucase it can allow shit in that will make it weather.

Im not saying your welding idea is bad, just not the best. When shaving door handles you weld a plate because your replacing a hole in the chassis. With filling in sides of a car, you dont need to weld.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
I've heard that blue/green fiberglass stuff refered to as "kitty hair"....

I have a ton of it on my car now :eek:

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
lol and I've always called it "Angel Hair"

·
Peek-a-boo....
1,717 Posts
All the body shops i deliver to reffer to is as kitty hair.I thought it was kinda funny when i first started.

"Wait, you want a can of what? o.0"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts