Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to buy my first car. I had narrowed my choices to a 2001 Prelude and a 1995 300zx 5 spd. NA. After driving the Z, I felt foolish for ever considering the 'lude. Completely different worlds. The only thing holding me back from a purchase is the age of the Z. The mileage is low at 33,000 mi. The price $17k. The car was in good shape - no obvious problems. It drove well on a short test drive. I will have it more thoroughly inspected of course, but I am appealing to the experience of this board. Is this car likely to last for some time without major problems? Or should I opt for a newer, although less fun to drive Honda?
Any and all personal opinions welcome...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,554 Posts
It's common to see Z's with 160-175K+ miles on them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Even though the Z is ten years old having only 33,000 miles is a good sign. Also, are you buying it from a dealer or the owner, and is it the original owner. I was lucky to find a 92 with only 42,000 miles and the original owner. Just make sure that everything looks to be right. Good luck and happy motoring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BlackZhawk said:
Even though the Z is ten years old having only 33,000 miles is a good sign. Also, are you buying it from a dealer or the owner, and is it the original owner. I was lucky to find a 92 with only 42,000 miles and the original owner. Just make sure that everything looks to be right. Good luck and happy motoring.
I would be buying it from a Nissan dealer. The previous owner traded it in for a new Altima.
It seems that there is nothing obvious I am missing here, and that the mileage would be more important than the age of the car.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
IronA said:
I would be buying it from a Nissan dealer. The previous owner traded it in for a new Altima.
It seems that there is nothing obvious I am missing here, and that the mileage would be more important than the age of the car.
Maybe. 10 years old means it ran about 3300 miles a year. Either many short trips or it sat a lot, neither of which is good for an engine. Regular medium length trips keep the seals lubricated and most of the corrosive agent buildup gets burned out of the engine. Hopefully oil changes were pretty regular, but I'd say it probably wasn't changed more than once a year. If you buy it, keep an eye on the seals for a while, and don't drive it long distances or for extended periods of time for about 6 months. Work up to it, give the seals and other parts time to acquire adequate lubrication and get used to the extra wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
seems like alot for $17,000 bux don't you think?

seems like alot for $17,000 bux don't you think?

♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Maybe. 10 years old means it ran about 3300 miles a year. Either many short trips or it sat a lot, neither of which is good for an engine. Regular medium length trips keep the seals lubricated and most of the corrosive agent buildup gets burned out of the engine. Hopefully oil changes were pretty regular, but I'd say it probably wasn't changed more than once a year. If you buy it, keep an eye on the seals for a while, and don't drive it long distances or for extended periods of time for about 6 months. Work up to it, give the seals and other parts time to acquire adequate lubrication and get used to the extra wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
IronA said:
I'm about to buy my first car. I had narrowed my choices to a 2001 Prelude and a 1995 300zx 5 spd. NA. After driving the Z, I felt foolish for ever considering the 'lude. Completely different worlds. The only thing holding me back from a purchase is the age of the Z. The mileage is low at 33,000 mi. The price $17k. The car was in good shape - no obvious problems. It drove well on a short test drive. I will have it more thoroughly inspected of course, but I am appealing to the experience of this board. Is this car likely to last for some time without major problems? Or should I opt for a newer, although less fun to drive Honda?
Any and all personal opinions welcome...

Are you in highschool when you say you are buying your first car? If so, man its sounds like a great car....but 17k is alot of money for your first car. I cant speak for everyone, but alot of the guys i grew up with, including me all wrecked their first car, sometimes even more than once....Just keep that in mind.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
carloz said:
seems like alot for $17,000 bux don't you think?
Not sure what you mean by that. 17 Gs is a lot of money to most people.

I'd actually be more worried about a 10 year old car with only 33,000 miles than I would be about a 15 year old car with 150,000 miles. High or low mileage is no indication of the condition of or the care received by the engine. This low mileage car is barely broken in, and has obviously sat for a long time. I certainly wouldn't give $17,000 for it to turn into a potential leak factory. Not to mention it's a non-turbo. I wouldn't even pay $17,000 for a TT in excellent condition, but thats my personal opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Not sure what you mean by that. 17 Gs is a lot of money to most people.

I'd actually be more worried about a 10 year old car with only 33,000 miles than I would be about a 15 year old car with 150,000 miles. High or low mileage is no indication of the condition of or the care received by the engine. This low mileage car is barely broken in, and has obviously sat for a long time. I certainly wouldn't give $17,000 for it to turn into a potential leak factory. Not to mention it's a non-turbo. I wouldn't even pay $17,000 for a TT in excellent condition, but thats my personal opinion.
I am 25 and not likey to wreck it in my first week :)
Zen31ZR: What ballpark offer would you suggest I make, persuming it is in good eye-ball condition? I am considering presenting $14,500 to the dealer and also purchasing a one year mechanical warranty for $950. I figure by the end of the first year I will REALLY know what I have gotten myself into. The warranty would cover any unforseen problems. What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
IronA said:
I am 25 and not likey to wreck it in my first week :)
Zen31ZR: What ballpark offer would you suggest I make, persuming it is in good eye-ball condition? I am considering presenting $14,500 to the dealer and also purchasing a one year mechanical warranty for $950. I figure by the end of the first year I will REALLY know what I have gotten myself into. The warranty would cover any unforseen problems. What do you think?
Well, i paid 12k for my 96 and it had 50k on it. In july the Kelly book on mine was 13k... I just did one on the one you want to buy....

added all of the options its 10,060. I'd bring him a print out of the kbb and start low...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
96300zx5spd said:
Well, i paid 12k for my 96 and it had 50k on it. In july the Kelly book on mine was 13k... I just did one on the one you want to buy....

added all of the options its 10,060. I'd bring him a print out of the kbb and start low...
That's in keeping with dealers generally wanting right about double what a car is worth, however. They probably won't budge too far on it. Some other sucker will probably buy it, even if he doesn't.....

Iron, if you have that much money to give the dealer, I'd look in the paper or Ebay for a nice TT elsewhere. The dealers goal is to rip you off blind, you can do much better than an NA car anyway. At your age, you might as well buy a TT, and enjoy it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
200 Posts
I'd pass on the Z and and pass on the prelude too. im a big fan of Honda and Nissan but i can give you a dozen reasons why neither car are good choices. But if it has to be one or the other, itd be the prelude. it might My girlfriend bout a 88 ford with 38K thinking it would last awhile and run great because of the low mileage. unfortunately, that wasnt the case. luckily she got it for $200. but my point is, dont let the mileage fool you because my guess it sat a lot. Id pick the Prelude because of that reason only. If you want to get the 300zx, try and get the records for regular servicing to prove that the owner actually did service the car often.

I bought my nissan on a whim and ended up paying way too much for it just because i wanted it bad. dont make the same mistake i did. if he wont budge from 17.5K, just walk away without a word. you shouldnt pay more than 11 or 12K for that car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good advice

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. I'm still interested in the car, and will give it a thorough exam. I will give the dealer a low offer, and not lose any sleep if he doesn't go for it. I think if I do buy it the warrantly will be a good idea. The thing that is nearly selling me on this car is the torque. I'm not sure what a comparable car would be (around the same price) that has respectable power and look. Of course, I'd be looking at several years old ... I suppose the problem with something powerful in my price range is that it would have too many miles on it. I was thinking BMW330Ci (not that I've driven one before) .... Anyway, I'll give it some careful thought. Thanks again!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
IronA said:
Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to think about. I'm still interested in the car, and will give it a thorough exam. I will give the dealer a low offer, and not lose any sleep if he doesn't go for it. I think if I do buy it the warrantly will be a good idea. The thing that is nearly selling me on this car is the torque. I'm not sure what a comparable car would be (around the same price) that has respectable power and look. Of course, I'd be looking at several years old ... I suppose the problem with something powerful in my price range is that it would have too many miles on it. I was thinking BMW330Ci (not that I've driven one before) .... Anyway, I'll give it some careful thought. Thanks again!
If you think that engine had torque and power, drive a TT. ;) Personally, I'd stay away from the BMW. Good cars, but you pay a lot for the brand, and personally I think a TT Z beats it hands down for less money.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
I'm with carloz....

...hey Iron...I had a 91 240z I wrecked :rolleyes: a few weeks back and am looking for a 300 now. I'm with carloz on the price...17K seems awful high. Check out autotrader and ebaymotors...I think u can find a more resonbly priced 300 there...


carloz said:
seems like alot for $17,000 bux don't you think?
 

·
ZPOOLNZ
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
lumbee said:
...hey Iron...I had a 91 240z I wrecked :rolleyes: a few weeks back and am looking for a 300 now. I'm with carloz on the price...17K seems awful high. Check out autotrader and ebaymotors...I think u can find a more resonbly priced 300 there...
A 91 240Z?

For an NA that price is ridiculous. I could get a TT in excellent condition with 50k miles for 13k. 17k is more the price of a TT with that many miles and in perfect condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
think practicle. if your young the Z is gonna kill you with insurance. you should check into that before even contimplating the purchase. as far as your find of the 95 for 17g's and low mileage thats not bad over priced but we could debate this forever.

you can buy shop manuals for the Z, but honestly its not an easy car to work on. the bolt on mods are relativly easy and most can do this. however maintenence on the Z car is NOT CHEAP!


most of us in the z world would tell you to stay away from a 95, go with a 90 or 91 there arguably the best years.

hope this doesnt scare ya away from your purchase decision.

gl


Irei
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
IreiMember said:
most of us in the z world would tell you to stay away from a 95, go with a 90 or 91 there arguably the best years.
Actually 96 is the year Hp dropped. ;)
 

·
ZPOOLNZ
Joined
·
1,609 Posts
IreiMember said:
most of us in the z world would tell you to stay away from a 95, go with a 90 or 91 there arguably the best years.
Actually a 94 or 95 would probably be the best year to buy. Any year will be fine (90s were first run years so there are a few little problems since nissan was still working the bugs out). Anything 90-96 will be fine NA wise. 96 though has OBDII and TTs are down 20bhp and harder to get power out of.

Please refer to what I suggested to you in the gas thread for the 350Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
actually no.... 91 is the best year for the Z ask anyone who has one. all are great years to have i mean there Z's. yes in 90 they did have some quirks to work out but did so in 1990. i have some data on all the years ill post up when time permits. the 91 stock had the best 1/4 mile times. im sure james will debate this like he does every post but its all G



Irei
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top