Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just got back from a road trip, lots of stop & go, temps around 100. Had coolant on top of reservoir topped off and is still pushing out coolant. How to test fan operation & temp sensor. Thank-you, Nick

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
To test the fans, use the IPDM auto-test. The gen5 Alties only have one temperature sender, so if the temp on your dash reads correctly then the ECT sensor is working.
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you for the response. I did that procedure yesterday. I like it! Very good self check! I do have both speeds on fans. It would be nice if brake lights and turn signals would cycle. When I got back from my trip, I added some coolant. It was at the minimum. Looks like this reservoir is a little small and doesn't like much fluid foe expansion. Right now the level is right at minimum & not blowing out. Nick

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
If it's losing coolant then it won't be from a small expansion bottle, most gen5's barely use a drop except in desert conditions where evaporation can take a faster-than-normal toll. You may have a small "vapor leak" somewhere in your system. The best way to locate those is some UV dye in the coolant. Even the tiniest leaks can't hide from the magic flashlight and glasses.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No leaks. It is coming from overflow on top of reservoir. I filled it to the max line and it wasn't happy. It is back down to min line and top is clean. I believe this is the smallest reservoir I have ever seen and not used to the capacity. Nick

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
There's no way that should be happening. If there are no external leaks, you may be looking at a small head gasket leak. Under normal circumstances it should be around the Min line cold and the Max line fully warmed. If it's overtopping when filled to Min when cold, there's a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts