Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a '95 nissan pickup xe 4wd with a 2 speed transfer case, and a 5 speed tranny and 86k miles. in 2wd mode i get 13-14mpg if im lucky, 12 if i drive like a maniac, and 13-14 if i go easy btw i live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and its rather hilly, but i think something else is amuck in the truck, now that i think about it, almost everything on the truck is stock, except for engine oil changes.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK something is bad wrong. I have a 97 four wheel drive with 167000 miles on it and driving wide open I still get 19 MPG and I live in the mountains of N.C. If I slow it down to 55 I can get up to 25 MPG on the highway, I tried this when gas prices went so high. I know you have probably thought of this but have you tried getting a tune up and changing the oxygen sensor. It also seems to help my truck if I run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it whenever I change the oil. I'm no machanic so thats about the full extent of what I could do on my own, but if your little truck is getting that poor of gas mileage it would be worth the money to have it checked out. With that kind of gas mileage you could drive a full size heavy duty Ford, have more power and be able to haul way more. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill try that, but idk my uncle, before he passed away said all motor parts are the originals, so maybe a spark plug deteriorated, because i have piss poor acceleration and hill climbing, but ill try the 02 sensor

·
Registered
201 Posts
WOW time for some chem love

at half a tank pour a bottle of B12 in your tank and run till almost E

replace fuel filter

and/later

slowly pour searfoam threw the brake booster line (hose coming off top right by brake reservoir. will hiss when you pull it) pour slowly as not to kill the motor. when 1/3 is gone dump in there to try and kill motor...if motor don't die turn off When the can is 1/2 to 2/3 empy *also stick brake booster line back on*(will probably see smoke at this point) let set 5-15 min and start up (give it some gas) when started and running threw the rpm range smooth go and drive it hard till it stops smoking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had the same exact problem when I bought my 95 a year ago. One year later and after a good amount of money I am up to 20 mpg city. I would definately tune it up. New plugs, O2 sensor, fuel filter....... Make sure brakes are ok. Only 86,000 miles probably means the truck has done some sitting. That was the case with mine. I was getting such crappy mpg's and performance so I took it in and my mechanic had to flush the injectors. He said they were horrible. That was after I ran multiple bottles of injector cleaner. Maybe alls that did was dislodge some stuff and made it worse. Check to see if the truck is running rich. You should smell it out of the exhaust, but you can also check the codes (there is a thread on here with detailed directions for that). Could also be a bad cat, but i think that would be least likely. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts