Nissan Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

New member looking for some help.

My 1999 Terrano is suffering from power loss under acceleration and struggles up an incline. The MIL is not on.

I have endured MAF sensor failure (80k miles) and fuel pump failure (110k miles), and the power loss is not as bad as either of these faults, but rather just very sluggish. It still manages to reach 80+ mph on the level, but takes forever to get there.

Since the problem started, I have done a complete filter change and cleaned the mesh filter in front of the MAF sensor, but this has made no difference.

Does anybody have any ideas for me to have a look at, as I can't really afford another expensive garage bill!

Cheers for any help.
Hi, My Nissan Terrano II developped the power loss. I tried various remedies nothing worked. At last I found some solution which has improved the performance. This is what to do. Remove the Mass Airflow Sensor. It has two tiny elements (like a light bulb). These may be covered with dust (penetrating the air filter) Blow a jet of compressed air and clean the 2 elements. Fit it back and give it a try. I once cleaned it with a soft cotton swab soaked in methylated spirit, and dried under the hair dryer. Please tell me if you ate happy with the results. Taurus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, My Nissan Terrano II developped the power loss. I tried various remedies nothing worked. At last I found some solution which has improved the performance. This is what to do. Remove the Mass Airflow Sensor. It has two tiny elements (like a light bulb). These may be covered with dust (penetrating the air filter) Blow a jet of compressed air and clean the 2 elements. Fit it back and give it a try. I once cleaned it with a soft cotton swab soaked in methylated spirit, and dried under the hair dryer. Please tell me if you ate happy with the results. Taurus
Be very careful with the air flow sensor, they are expensive to replace and easy to damage, best way to clean it is to spray with contact cleaner available from electrical stores. It's in a pressure pack can just spray the sensor and leave as the cleaner leaves no residue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loss of power

Just seen your post, 24.07.2015, but this comment might help someone else.....

We had same problem. The Air Mass Meter was faulty for at least a year and this caused trouble further down the line, that is, gunged in the turbo unit. My very good garage man cleaned out the turbo waste gate and now it is all puuuurrrrrrfect.

G Tyson

·
Registered
1 Posts
wasn't is much easier before without the electronics :) ???

Ok on a 5,000 km trip had the fluxmeter problem and had to drive the last 900km with a bicycle like acceleration up to 70km/h max speed and a loaded truck speed of 50km/h uphill using 3rd and sometimes 2nd gear.
Downhill managed to reach 100kph

Symptoms were lack of fuel, could not floor the accelerator, had to judge the correct air intake for the small available fuel so it was a concentration exercise to dose the correct amount of air with the throttle, the more I lifted the foot the best performance I get out of it.

Took time but reached destination which unfortunately is 5,000 kms away from home and has to be fixed here.

Replacing now fluxmeter and also a leaking diesel pump :( will cost around 500/600 eur, sure hope it will be good enough for extra 100k kms

next time will replace it with good old mechanical injection and good old injectors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1997 2.7tdi terrano2 and had a similar problem,low pulling power lack of guts up hill high fuel consumption,tried all the usual things but still the same until I found the maf sensor mounted on top of the induction pipe to the air filter,I undid the two screws and eased out the plug,I saw what looked like a light bulb filiment that was black,I sprayed this with wd40 until it shone,shook it dry then refitted it...WOW the difference was astounding,there I was ready to flog the car and now I have had it for three years and it pulls like a train and the fuel economy is amazing,I pull a medium sized caravan and honestly it feels as if there is nothing on the back.
I don't know if you have tried this but it really worked wonders for my old motor.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts