Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 96 200sx se-r and when I accelerate my temp gauge goes crazy and drops straight to bottom cold. When I idle it returns to mid level. I think this has something to do with the thermostat or some sensor anyone know where this is? I had my window fixed at a shop and the same thing was happening they said the tightened something up I jus dunno where its at.

·
Registered
258 Posts
it sounds like its your thermostat or coolant. im not sure. take to a"REAL" mechanic and he'll tell you your problem. but by the looks of it, it doesnt sound so serious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I changed my oil, cleaned my air filter, and put some silverstars in my fog lamps and the next morning.. No abnormalities with the temp guage... LoL who knows?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Aknosis said:
So I changed my oil, cleaned my air filter, and put some silverstars in my fog lamps and the next morning.. No abnormalities with the temp guage... LoL who knows?
It was definitely those new silverstar fog lamps that solved your problem

:) JK

·
Registered
203 Posts
Aknosis said:
I got a 96 200sx se-r and when I accelerate my temp gauge goes crazy and drops straight to bottom cold. When I idle it returns to mid level.
Mine does the exact same thing! I just haven't had the time to screw with it and see what it really is.
Anyone else have a similar problem with a fix?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
It sounds to me like a bad connection at your temp sending unit. Or your sending unit is going bad. Now if the temp would only drop a little bit I would suggest the it was the thermostat, but since it is dropping all the way down, then back up quickly. It has to be either a bad connection, or the sending unit itself.

·
Da Dirty South
115 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
It sounds to me like a bad connection at your temp sending unit. Or your sending unit is going bad. Now if the temp would only drop a little bit I would suggest the it was the thermostat, but since it is dropping all the way down, then back up quickly. It has to be either a bad connection, or the sending unit itself.
I agree. Sounds like a bad connection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nissan200sx said:
I agree. Sounds like a bad connection.
Is it by chance anywhere near the front right fog light maybe? When I changed my lamps I noticed the the fog light assembly was broken I dunno if something flew up and hit it or what but it is pretty banged up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ditto0011 said:
Apparently it involves you buying some Silverstars for your foglights! Oh yeah and cleaning the air filter and changing the oil! :)
DAMN! I only changed the headlights, not the foglights! No wonder it's not working! :balls:

Anyhow, I will check the connection. Thanks.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
It's just under your distributor, it's a small brass nipple that threads into the engine block. It has a single wire going to it.
Check the connection, and the wire.
If everything looks good, then you will probably need to replace the sensor. When you replace it, make sure you do it when the car is cold. IF not the coolent will shoot out and BURN you....
Now if you do it cold, you should only loose very minumal amounts of coolant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts