Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Your electrical friend
2,189 Posts
No, without changing out the ECU, engine harness, CV axles and tranny, it couldn't have been downgraded to a GA16DE. The easiest way to tell the engines apart is the valve cover. The SR20 VC has a deeper valley where the spark plugs are.

This is a GA16DE, notice how the valley where the plugs set is shallow.

And here is an SR20DE (Well, actually it's a DET but that doesn't matter, same VC) Notice how the plugs set further in the valley of the VC.

http://www.conopium.com/misc/*****.jpg

Hope that helps. Stole pics from posts in member's rides, since I have pics of neither of my cars' engines, and this was faster than snapping pics at midnight and waiting for them to upload. Thanks for posting engine pics guys!

· Your electrical friend
2,189 Posts
Yeah, this thread is 2 years old. The pics don't even link anymore. What cracks me up is that despite that I had linked pictures, which make it VERY easy at a glance to see if it's a GA or an SR, people STILL felt compelled to post some other, less simple means to determine if the engine was a GA or SR.

Anway, a DET VC would work as long as your engine is non-roller rocker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.