Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell difference between SR20 and GA16 Engine

Ok about a year to 2 years ago my dad got a rebuilt engine for his nissan 1992 se-r. Now that he has bought himself a new car it has rolled into my possesion how can I tell the rebuilt engine is infact a SR20 and not a GA16? Or is the difference
between them so great that a sentra se-r couldnt have a ga16 put into it without massive stripping and putting in different stuff?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
No, without changing out the ECU, engine harness, CV axles and tranny, it couldn't have been downgraded to a GA16DE. The easiest way to tell the engines apart is the valve cover. The SR20 VC has a deeper valley where the spark plugs are.

This is a GA16DE, notice how the valley where the plugs set is shallow.

And here is an SR20DE (Well, actually it's a DET but that doesn't matter, same VC) Notice how the plugs set further in the valley of the VC.

Hope that helps. Stole pics from posts in member's rides, since I have pics of neither of my cars' engines, and this was faster than snapping pics at midnight and waiting for them to upload. Thanks for posting engine pics guys!

·
100NX2000
346 Posts
Re: Tell difference between SR20 and GA16 Engine

Crolly said:
Ok about a year to 2 years ago my dad got a rebuilt engine for his nissan 1992 se-r. Now that he has bought himself a new car it has rolled into my possesion how can I tell the rebuilt engine is infact a SR20 and not a GA16? Or is the difference
between them so great that a sentra se-r couldnt have a ga16 put into it without massive stripping and putting in different stuff?
Oh come on. :mad:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: Tell difference between SR20 and GA16 Engine

Crolly said:
...how can I tell the rebuilt engine is infact a SR20 and not a GA16? ...
:rolleyes:

Your kiddin' right?

Toolapcfan, those pictures are perfect for comparison shots.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
heres a better question!!

I have been searching around for this answer... But..... Can the DET valve cover be bolted on to a U.S. SR20? I want a spark plug cover for my sr20, and I know the GTiR DETs guys have them when they go from Top mount to front Mount. Will the sr20det valve cover bolt right on to a sr20de engine? I heard from someone the bolt patterns are different. ?!?
Thanks.
-Travis

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
I think he gets the idea guys.. i want my question answered now. LOL.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Yeah, this thread is 2 years old. The pics don't even link anymore. What cracks me up is that despite that I had linked pictures, which make it VERY easy at a glance to see if it's a GA or an SR, people STILL felt compelled to post some other, less simple means to determine if the engine was a GA or SR.

Anway, a DET VC would work as long as your engine is non-roller rocker.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
toolapcfan said:
Anway, a DET VC would work as long as your engine is non-roller rocker.
hmm.. odd... I heard from a GTiR guy in the UK that they were taking the Roller Rocker Valve covers and puttin them on their cars because they liked the smooth look. ??? Now Im confused. One is saying Only if its roller rockers.. And the other is saying only if its not.. lol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
dude the rr v/c is higher, so imagine you could put it on a non rr engine, just not the other way around, sound good?

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
1999GXE1.6 said:
I have been searching around for this answer... But..... Can the DET valve cover be bolted on to a U.S. SR20?
The bluebird DET VC will for sure. The GtiR one probably will, but have never tried it for myself, so I'm not 100% on that one.

1999GXE1.6 said:
I want a spark plug cover for my sr20, and I know the GTiR DETs guys have them when they go from Top mount to front Mount.
Keep in mind that the GtiR valve cover has threads cast into the valve cover itself to allow you to bolt up the TMIC or a cover plate. All the other SR20 valve covers do not have those, so a GtiR cover plate would not work on those other VC's.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I dont get it, why dont you just start your own thread instead of bringing something back from 02 which has nothing to do with what youre asking? :rolleyes:

The valve cover will work, but you mine as well wait because syndicate kustomz is making one already.

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Man I swear, you cant do anything right in this forum without someone getting on your ass about something. :rolleyes:

1) I dont plan on using a spark plug cover from a det and putting in on my DE??? I dont know where you got that idea? I was thinking of taking the shipping payment up the ass and getting a DET valve cover with a spark plug cover on it.

2) Starting new threads only pisses people off if the question has allready been answered. I was searching and this thread came up. I figured Id post it in here. Damn. :thumbup:

3) Thanks for the RR info. I didnt know that about the 2 VC's.

If sindicate is workin on it. Does anyone have info on it? Or a link to a site or thread talkin about it or something? Thanks guys. Take care.

-Travis

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
Travis, chill out dude. This forum has no issues. You'd get the same treatment on sr20forum for the question you asked, and you know it too. Take it easy, mate. You know I'm just a phone call away. :)

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Well, then ill just call and bug the SHIT outta ya. LOL. Im so glad that you are still around somewhat. Ill try and give ya a buzz this weekend. Youve got my number, so use it whore. :thumbup: :cheers:

P.S. so whats up with this 240 I hear you have. :cool:

·
SE Limited
791 Posts
Harris said:
Travis, chill out dude. This forum has no issues. You'd get the same treatment on sr20forum for the question you asked, and you know it too.
By-The-Way....

Im lost in what you were saying here? Like I said, i was searching for an answer to what I was askin.. Didnt see it, this was the closest thing I could find to what I searched for... Thats why I rivived the dead on this one. Loser. :) I Will be callin ya sometime this week to see how youve been though. :loser:

·
Super-Mod with a 240
2,375 Posts
1999GXE1.6 said:
By-The-Way....

Im lost in what you were saying here? Like I said, i was searching for an answer to what I was askin.. Didnt see it, this was the closest thing I could find to what I searched for... Thats why I rivived the dead on this one. Loser. :) I Will be callin ya sometime this week to see how youve been though. :loser:

Don't worry about what I said. Just call me and we'll talk about your car.

PS, forget about the 240. It's a POS and will remain as such. I just bought it for winter-driving duties.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts