Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 gxe limited edition.. my taillights turn on.. but when you step on the brakes the lights didnt turn on.. so i checked the bulbs and as a suspected, they looked burnt.. well on the right side i took it out and switched it out.. the left one, was stuck and wouldnt come out.. i fought with it for a while and only the glass came out.. so i cut the wires and took the bulb connector out and ya sure enough the old bulb was rusted onto the connector.. so i sprayed wd40 and it came out.. i cleaned the connector, dried it, and then reinstalled it to the regular connections.. put in the new bulb and checked again.. the lights turn on and when i hit the brakes only the right side brake turned on.. the left side still doesnt turn on.. i checked the wiring when i reconnected it, i checked everything.. any ideas? do i need a new connector? do i have to take it into someone professional? dealer or an electrician? i hate to waste money on something i can do.. please give me some input.
joe

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did you check the output of the wiring on the side that doesn't work with a meter or test light? Double check the fuses and then see if power is even making it to the socket with someone holding down the brake pedal. If not, check the fuses and then look for a burnt wire or cut. Good luck!

·
Registered
612 Posts
99stxsentra said:
i have a 99 gxe limited edition.. my taillights turn on.. but when you step on the brakes the lights didnt turn on.. so i checked the bulbs and as a suspected, they looked burnt.. well on the right side i took it out and switched it out.. the left one, was stuck and wouldnt come out.. i fought with it for a while and only the glass came out.. so i cut the wires and took the bulb connector out and ya sure enough the old bulb was rusted onto the connector.. so i sprayed wd40 and it came out.. i cleaned the connector, dried it, and then reinstalled it to the regular connections.. put in the new bulb and checked again.. the lights turn on and when i hit the brakes only the right side brake turned on.. the left side still doesnt turn on.. i checked the wiring when i reconnected it, i checked everything.. any ideas? do i need a new connector? do i have to take it into someone professional? dealer or an electrician? i hate to waste money on something i can do.. please give me some input.
joe
More than likely, if the bulb was rusted in place, you need a new light socket. First, make sure you have voltage when the brake is pressed. It's best to check this INSIDE the socket while someone steps on the brake pedal. If there's no voltage, check at the wire. If that's good get another socket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts