Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this issue with their Frontier. Ive noticed lately unless I really slam the tailgate, it doesnt fit tight. Plus the last time I locked the tailgate it was a lot harder to turn the lock.

I got Nissan to look at it last time I had an oil change, and they said it would eb about $300 to fix. $200 for parts and $100 labour.

Im sure I could fix this myself, but could it be something else. I have no idea why the lock would be worn out, I barely use it. What are some things I could maybe replace on my own before replacing what they suggested

Its not an emergency, just sick of rreally slamming the tailgate. One day somethings going to break Im sure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably need to lube the latches
Tried that, unless Im spraying the wrong things. I could see the tailgate sloppy as I use it alot (hey its a truck right) but that lock isnt used alot, so it shouldnt have any wear really

·
Registered
737 Posts
Check the hinge alignment and wear on both hinge cups with the tailgate off. I'm thinking it is the cups. Do you put a lot of weight on the tailgate when it is open? If so, that's what probably bent or wore out the cups. Also check the cable bolts and make sure they didn't back out, then check/tighten everything else.

For the lock cylinder, be careful not to drop it into the tailgate by using too much force. If it does happen you will need a couple new dealer parts depending on your trim level. Z

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the hinge alignment and wear on both hinge cups with the tailgate off. I'm thinking it is the cups. Do you put a lot of weight on the tailgate when it is open? If so, that's what probably bent or wore out the cups. Also check the cable bolts and make sure they didn't back out, then check/tighten everything else.

For the lock cylinder, be careful not to drop it into the tailgate by using too much force. If it does happen you will need a couple new dealer parts depending on your trim level. Z
A lot of weight, I dont think so. Besides me stepping on it when loading things, etc, etc..

Ill check the cables and see.

The lock seems to be a bit better now, and Ill leave it as it is until it doesnt work anymore. I was just used to the way it was, and while its a bit tighter than before, its not so stiff that it take tremendous force to turn.

Ill maybe take the tailgate right off this weekend and see. The latches seem to work the way they should, just dont know why the extra force is needed it make it tight. I dont see any wear in that area. I even tried just shutting it nice, and then give it an extra shove when its latched, but that wont work either.

Ill check those cups, maybe they are worn out. I dont mind keeping my vehicle in working order, but sometimes you have to weigh inconvience to cost. Truck will still run fine even if I have to slam the tailgate harder than normal.

I really need to get some hydralic rams on it, damn that things heavy. Have you put those on your truck?

·
Registered
737 Posts
No I haven't, but I have seen a couple cool things. I just deal with it and try not to load stuff on the tailgate since so many people have an issue with their 2nd Gens, especially while standing on it. Let me know if the lock pops out, I've repaired two. Z

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I haven't, but I have seen a couple cool things. I just deal with it and try not to load stuff on the tailgate since so many people have an issue with their 2nd Gens, especially while standing on it. Let me know if the lock pops out, I've repaired two. Z
So basically they were designed to fail in away. I see it more and more with vehciles, something setup for failure if you use it the way its intended

I have to load stuff on my tailgate unfortunatly because I haul water and move my water tank in and out twice a week. Its not very heavy, but maybe it was heavy enough

Either or Im going to try and adjust it this weekend

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wouldn't say they were built to fail, but when you see it you will understand that it could have been better built with beefier parts.

As for loading the tanks, consider removing the tailgate first or leaving it off for loading and unloading.

I can't remember if the weight limit is in your owners manual or not (250 pounds?), but it might be worth a look to you. Z

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't say they were built to fail, but when you see it you will understand that it could have been better built with beefier parts.

As for loading the tanks, consider removing the tailgate first or leaving it off for loading and unloading.

I can't remember if the weight limit is in your owners manual or not (250 pounds?), but it might be worth a look to you. Z
Tanks defintly not that heavy. Its not really heavy, just bulky. a big Square that holds 300 gallons, although I only haul about 150 for weight limit.

Removing the tailgate isnt an option. When Im dont with the tank I unroll the toneau cover, so I dont want to have to put my tailgate on once a week and then have to remove it a few days later.

Eventually I want to get a trailer to use for hauling instead.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took the tailgate off, cleaned whatever I could find, siliconed sprayed any latches, hinges and where the tailgate fits into. Weird they would use a plastic sleeve in there, but I guess metal on metal would create excess wear.

While the lock is better its not back to normal, but I can live with it. The tailgate now lacthes nice and tight with one hand even. I can even just slowly put it up and give it an extra little push and it like brand new.

What bugs me is they said it needed this part and that part and labour would be $300. Plus they charged me $52.50 worht of labour to look.

Since I deal there alot I went back and complained about the stupid little $52.50 charges for checking some minor things (3 of them) and got a free Mainteance 1 and oil change. I dont expect things to be done for free, but when your a regular customer youd think minor checks could be done as a loyal customer nice-ity (just my opinion)

Thanks for the tips, works a lot better. Plus I found to small rocks that were rattling around where the hinges were. Must of fell in there when hauling gravel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts