Nissan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
worked

GA16DET_93 said:
i have a 93 sentra E its an SE-R clone but with a GA16DE with a turbo. will this work on my car and on the coil deal too??
i go it set up i installed a sunpro super tach II its 2" 5/8. i plugged it from the coil and works and looks nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the writeup it worked great. However I did locate the blue/white stripe but didnt get any voltage from it and I found another blue/black stripe coming out of the ECU also with no voltage before I found teh other blue/black stripe that worked. But it works now and no drillin or clunky wires in my sweet engine bay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im having an issue with the tach droping to 0 when I let off the gas quickly, anyone got an idea what it could be?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i think i missed it

sorry for the redundnt post 'cause i know its in here but which wire on a 92 e? bl/w?
ps that was an interesting "battle" you dont get that in sevice manuals:crazy:
thanks

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
Bump for a dead thread... I have 2 issues here. I am swapping a 91-92 NX2000 gauge cluster into my auto-manual swapped 94.5 XE. I have pinned out all the wires needed, put a speedo pinion into the tranny, cut a hole and ran a speedo cable to the cluster.

For the tach, I had an aftermarket one I was only able to get working by hacking the coil and running a wire to (the blue/black wire at ECU pin #2 didnt do anything). I tried running that same coil wire to the new cluster for the tach signal, but that shorted the ignition somehow and the car would only crank and not start. Disconnecting that wire, everything works fine.

EXCEPT no speed info. I somehow thought that with a cable-driven one I could ignore the cluster wires for the 'speed sensor' - the XE had 4 wires and the nx one has only 2.

Do I need to power the cable-driven speedo for it to work? If so, what wires could I choose (on the diagram it looks like the XE had 2 powered and 2 ground wires)?

For the tach, has anybody else been able to find an alternate ECU harness wire that carries a tach signal? I ran ECUtalk with a consult cable and got good RPM data, so I know the ECU is getting a signal from the engine.\

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Dan

·
390 Posts
Bump c'mon I don't want to start trying RANDOM wires in the harness looking for a tach signal...anybody have a different signal wire??

·
390 Posts
Ok So I put the ECU tach signal wire to the correct position. Speedo cable is installed right, and all should be well.

But, no tach and no speedo.

I am wondering if it is possible that I fried tach and/or speedo when I used my coil hacked wire for the tach signal, and the car only cranked with no start.???

Any way to test the tach and/or speedo? The cable is good. The pinion is good and all the way in. I have wired up tach and speedo as per toolapcfan's writeup.

Only other things I can think of are, I didnt wire up the water temp sensor, since mine doesnt give a good signal anyways (I have aftermarket so it didnt matter to me), I also skipped wiring up the buzzer, seatbelt light, washer indicator and similar useless crap.

No motion at all from speedo or tach at ACC or when car is running, and moving.

Weird. Looks like I downgraded since I already removed my mini-tach.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I need help now my car won't start, Just keeps turning over and won't start did I hook a wire up wrong? Help please

·
390 Posts
I want to connect an SE-R cluster up to my XE. In fact, last summer I tried to, but some speedo issues made it worthless(for teh time being) and I put back my XE cluster.

The problem I had was in getting a stock tach signal from teh ECu harness so I could get the stock SE-R tach to work...I tried using the coil wire that I (had to) hack for my sunpro tach, but that just caused a short and teh car wouldnt start.

I cant figure out why the stock wire wont give me tach signal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
you sure you used the right stock cable from your distributer? One is a positive cable and one negative. you want the negative. Try testing each one with a voltometer while you rev the engine. if the volts jump when you rev it, thats your tach signal

·
390 Posts
yes what I am saying is that the blue/white or blue/black wire at position 41(IIRC?) from ECU would not give a signal to an SE-R gauge cluster I tried to rig up.

I know that wire would not power teh Sunpro tach; for that one I am using the green/yellow(?) IIRC from the coil. But you can;t use that wire to power the gauge cluster tach; it shorts the car and it wont start.

Coo"?

·
Registered
55 Posts
What exactly does a tach do for your car?
It is an information gauge. It informs you on how many rpms your engine is going. And if you dont know a rpm is a revolution per minute. So when your engine makes a complete stroke that is a revolution. Knowing your rpms can help in shift times and just being able to know how fast your engine is going.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i have used this method both in my 91 sentra E (rip) and just did it about 10 minutes ago in my 94 sentra XE this is a spot on tutorial and i really appreciate this write up

·
Registered
7 Posts
i used the wires listed on this guide, and everything hooked up well to my $30 sunpro tach II gauge. only 1 problem, the light on the gauge does NOT dim, is on full brightness whenever i turn the lights on (not a real issue tho)

the instructions from the sunpro tach say to use the blue/black wire.. 2 did nothing and the 3rd (that i found) gives some reading, but no where near the correct reading.

the Light blue/white wire did the trick Thanks again.

BTW, its a 94 B13 XE 2 Door with only minor engine mods

61 - 80 of 95 Posts