Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
First of all, why use a splice connector? Sodder it, that's your best bet.

Second, if your going to do this, there's an easy way to beat the cheesy look. Mount it in the dash. Go a little further then bolt on and mount the darn thing. I'm going to take a glance at my XE tomorrow to see if there would be a decent place to mount one of these in dash... not that it's too awfully necessary on an automatic.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Yeah, Godlucian, this info will work for your car.

Most of the ECU wires are like 18 gauge, so soldering is not a good idea, and you're not powering anything, you're just getting a signal, so using a wire tap is quick, easy and clean.

·
Come here often?
767 Posts
For power? Yup, any 12V line that is on when the car's on is fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SAME??

toolapcfan said:
Your tach wire is the Blue/Orange wire the ECU pin #32.

Go to www.phatg20.com and register a username, then verify it. Then go to the FSM's and download the FSM for your car. Then go to the EL section, page 94. You'll see the diagram for the cluster that has a tach and it shows you that terminal 32 at the ECU is blue/orange, and below that it shows the ECU pin out so you can find the wire. The rest should be easy.
What colors are the wires at the dimmer and defroster for my car that i connect with the tach wires??
Thats all i need and im set. :thumbup:
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doesn't work!!

I tried the blue/orange wire, and it doesn't work. I am real freaking confused on what wire it is...you mind putting up a pic of where exactly to connect it at? I got it to light up and everything, but all i need is the tach signal wire.

·
Registered
315 Posts
blade said:
I tried the blue/orange wire, and it doesn't work. I am real freaking confused on what wire it is...you mind putting up a pic of where exactly to connect it at? I got it to light up and everything, but all i need is the tach signal wire.
hey, in my b14, i hooked it to a green wire coming out of the distributer. I have no idea if the color on the b13 is the same though.... The blue/orange wire didnt work for me either. I think its because it sends ac power and most aftermarket tachs need dc. I think.lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
myoung said:
I agree why go to all the trouble of going through the firewall and having extra wires in the engine bay? Just tie into the wire in the ecu cluster... no mess, no fuss.. can be done in a few minutes.
Because some of us cannot get that wire to work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a question i have a 1991 sentra GXE and i was woundering wat wire is the tach for it the tach that came with that car is messed up an di want to add the aftermarket one and the write up when i looked for hte blue with white strip i relized that there is no blue iwth white strip unless i overlooked it many times (which i could have done) but i really want to conect it so plz help thx

·
Registered
24 Posts
toolapcfan said:
:thumbdwn: Or you could do it the correct way. Please see my post above, #10.
what makes u think your way is the right way like if you work for faze like u invented the aftermarket tach if your so smart tell me how to put one in my 04 spec v

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
wonder1872001 said:
what makes u think your way is the right way like if you work for faze like u invented the aftermarket tach if your so smart tell me how to put one in my 04 spec v
Think about it for a second. If there is an existing tach wire inside all cars, then why would a person drill a hole in the firewall and hack into the coil wiring to get the exact same signal, not to mention, from the exact same wire? Will both work? Sure, but if there's an easier and better way to do it Why wouldn't you. My way is better because I do wiring for a living. You can do the same thing to put a tach in your spec v. Find out what wire from the ECU is used for the tach, and where this wire is. It's that simple. There's nothing "smart" about it, it's common sense. This isn't rocket science, and I could tell you the info you need to put a tach in your car, but your shithead attitude leaves me thinking that you're used to always having shit handed to you. So you figure it out on your own. You come in here mouthing off to me, questioning my knowledge and skill, when you're the dumbass who can't figure out something as simple as how to wire a tach up in your car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
my friend as a 91 e and doesnt bring a tach... he wants 2 know if he can do the same installing but get a cluster with a tach and install it to work on the cluster? is this possible?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
nvd sentra se said:
my friend as a 91 e and doesnt bring a tach... he wants 2 know if he can do the same installing but get a cluster with a tach and install it to work on the cluster? is this possible?
Yes he can but it'd be a lot easier and less work to just install an aftermarket tach. Here's a couple things I wrote up on swapping clusters and all the wiring info.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/february03/b13cluster/
http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=121146

But hey, what do I know? Right? Like Wonderfuck mentioned, if I'm so smart, I could figure out the magical secret behind wiring a tach to a spec v right? I mean, it's gotta take a genious to figure out how to connect three wires right? Nevermind these articles were instrumental in getting me a well paying job, installing several hundred thousand dollar audio/video distribution and automation systems in multi million dollar homes.

·
Registered
546 Posts
So what wire is it? On the first post it says Blue/w White strip and you are saying it is Blue/w Orange stripe. Wtfzorz?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Go back a read what year car it's for. That was for a B15, not a B13.

·
Registered
24 Posts
toolapcfan said:
Think about it for a second. If there is an existing tach wire inside all cars, then why would a person drill a hole in the firewall and hack into the coil wiring to get the exact same signal, not to mention, from the exact same wire? Will both work? Sure, but if there's an easier and better way to do it Why wouldn't you. My way is better because I do wiring for a living. You can do the same thing to put a tach in your spec v. Find out what wire from the ECU is used for the tach, and where this wire is. It's that simple. There's nothing "smart" about it, it's common sense. This isn't rocket science, and I could tell you the info you need to put a tach in your car, but your shithead attitude leaves me thinking that you're used to always having shit handed to you. So you figure it out on your own. You come in here mouthing off to me, questioning my knowledge and skill, when you're the dumbass who can't figure out something as simple as how to wire a tach up in your car. :thumbup:
hey shit brick nice to meet u my name is steve well anyways if you were as smart as u say u are u would know that theres 2 kinds of signal AC and DC(what kind of wiring....cableguy??? :loser: or something)aftermarket tachs only use one signal some car tachometers dont use the same signal as the aftermarket tach therefore u would have to purchase an autometer tach adapter...so before u call someone a dumbass you should make sense...also like other ppl said some cars dont have tachs built in so there for they wouldnt have a tach wire and would need to drill a hole and play with an ecu...and by the way dont forget some cars do come with different ecus just incase u didnt kno that but im sure u knew that after all u do wiring for a living :)

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
wonder1872001 said:
hey shit brick nice to meet u my name is steve well anyways if you were as smart as u say u are u would know that theres 2 kinds of signal AC and DC(what kind of wiring....cableguy??? :loser: or something)aftermarket tachs only use one signal some car tachometers dont use the same signal as the aftermarket tach therefore u would have to purchase an autometer tach adapter...so before u call someone a dumbass you should make sense...also like other ppl said some cars dont have tachs built in so there for they wouldnt have a tach wire and would need to drill a hole and play with an ecu...and by the way dont forget some cars do come with different ecus just incase u didnt kno that but im sure u knew that after all u do wiring for a living :)
I've yet to encounter a computer controlled car that doesn't have a wire from the coil to the ECU for a tach signal. All B13's B14's and B15's have a wire from the coil to the ECU. They also all have a wire out of the ECU that is intended for connecting to the optional OEM tach. If you know more than I about this, why are you asking me how to hook a tach up to your car? I've helped other people wire a tach in their B13, B14 and B15, you obviously have not, hence why you're spouting off like a retard again. I've forgotten more than you'll ever know smart guy.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts