Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I decided to get a small 'cheapo' tach off eBay to install. It's 2" face is perfect for what I wanted and looks good. The dash pad is already cracked in several places, so I didn't feel bad about putting a hole in it to run the wires down behind the center dash part, where the radio and all is located. Hooked the power wires to the cigar lighter, since it turns off with the key, and the back light wires to the cigar lighter light. No problems doing that. The fun was finding the correct wire for the tach signal. There are a few wires on the ECU that are identical but run to different places. After about 6 tries to find the right wire, I finally found the light blue with white stripe wire. It's like a Carolina Blue. Finally it worked. I even had the ECU out, and yeah that was fun to get out. Nissan made sure that wiring harness was never gonna vibrate out! Those wires are small like 18 or 20 ga, so be careful when pulling on them. Anyway....so on the way to work this morning I was going along at 4K rpm at 65 mph in 4th gear, because 5th doesn't work. That looked about normal so no worries there. By the time I had gone 20 miles the tach had slowly dropped down to 3K rpm at the same speed. Just great. Well....it was only $12 lol what do you expect? At least all the wires are already run and I can fish them out a bit through the hole on the dash pad for a different tach that will hopefully work better. Live and learn....again haha.:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well....on a hunch I decided to try something. I disconnected the tach signal wire from the blue w/white stripe wire from the ecu, and connect it directly to the coil signal wire. Now the tach works fine! At least it's nice to know that the tach is ok, but why did the other wire not work out? Many other people didn't have, or didn't say, that they had any problems with it. It would be nice to have all the wiring inside the cabin, but it's the Hooptie so doesn't really matter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.