Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some help here. I just got my '91 SENTRA (base model) about three weeks ago. Although I am enjoying the car (besides the fact the the suspension has absolutely NO damping) one thing I can't live without is a tach. It's a 4 speed manual so I like to keep it boiling as much as possible but looking down at "shifting speed" just ain't cutting it. The question I need a answer to is what kind of tachs are availabe out there. Also is there anyone that makes a "normal" size tach. No dispespect to others but I do not want to be riding around with a tach that is as big as my sterring wheel. Any suggestions would be much appriciated. Also...what IS the redline on that thing anyway...and does it have a rev-limiter ?!?!?!?!

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I don't like big ricery tachs either, if it's a big tach it needs to be part of the instrument cluster. I bought a cheap ass 2" Equus tach from JCWhitney, but I realize I could have gotten a nicer one for close to the $24 I paid for it and the needle bouces pretty bad, even when I installed the resistor that is supposed to prevent that. I'd just shop around a bit, look at Autozone and the like, look for one's the size you want. Autometer seems to be a popular brand but I don't know what sizes they offer. The rev limiter kicks in at 6900. You'll want to shift long before that, my XE doesn't make much power that high in the band. I shift around 5K to 5500 if I'm running hard. Here, write this down. The wire from the tach can be hooked up to the narrow blue wire with a white stripe coming out of your ECU. Ground the black wire and hook the red up to a keyed hot wire on your ingition switch. If you want the tach backlight to be controlled by your interior light switch and be dimmable, then pull your dimmer switch out and hook the light's positive wire up to the red wire with a blue stripe and the ground wire up to the red wire with a yellow stripe (it also has silver dots). Try using the search engine here sometime, it can bring you to a lot of answers quick.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A car store like Pep Boys or any local car store ( not to be confused with the local rice shops) usually carry tachs. 2" I think, Cost is about 30 dollars.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I picked up a sunpro mini tach 2 5/8" from autozone. It's nice and small, i mounted mine on the steering column on the right side,looks good. Paid $35 for it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts