Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for this engine to not reach the thermostat spec of 89 degrees? When i first noticed the engine at around 75 degrees i thought it was the thermostat, so i changed it, but it made no difference. So i connected a temp sensor on my multimeter and put it inside the top hose to see when water gets through the thermostat, there is a slight opening at 80 degrees, which sounds normal to me. Took a drive, at 30% load(normal driving,flat road, 90km/h) the engine is around 74-75 degrees, at 60%(uphill), the engine eventually reaches 80 degrees, the thermostat opens, and 10 sec later the temp drops to 70, and slowly climbs it's way back to 75. This is with an outside temp of 5 degrees and low heater fan speed, 0 degrees or lower, with high fan speed i can barely get 72 degrees, i never reach 80. Is this normal? Is there anything i can do so i can keep a decent cabin temp when the outside temp drops to -10 or lower?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,512 Posts
It's possible that the heater core has trapped air preventing good heat output. There's an article somewhere in this forum posted by SMJ999SMJ describing a procedure to purge the air from the heater core. You can do a search to find it.

If the heater core has been purged of air and the coolant system is working correctly, then another thing you can do is place a large piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to block a certain amount of air flow. You'll have to experiment with sizing the cardboard by watching the temp gauge. Initially start with blocking about 75% of the radiator surface and if the temp gauge shows too hot, keep trimming until you have reached a decent cabin temp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't seem to find the article you are referring too. But 2 times now i have parked the car uphill and opened the radiator cap, shouldn't that be enough?
Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but the problem here seems that there isn't enough heat produced in order to have a good heat output, rather than something preventing a good heat output?
The cardboard trick is more of a last resort, so i'll wait a little longer in hopes of a better solution before implementing it.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,512 Posts
Here's the posting by SMJ999SMJ in the thread I'm referring to:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No difference after bleeding one more time.
I have now covered 77% of the radiator, and i am now keeping a more stable temp closer to 80 degrees with normal driving, holds steady at 81 degrees under continuous 70% load(110 km/h uphill), this is with an outside temp of 9 degrees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts