Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 and 89 Sentras. Both have manual transmissions and both have over 165,000 miles on them. The shift from 1st to 2nd gear is a bit notchy. I'm hoping to improve this problem with synthetic gear oil. Anyone know what weight I should use? Also, I looked in the Haynes manual and I couldn't find instructions on how to drain the old stuff and where to add the new stuff.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
It's in the Haynes manual because I used it to change the gear oil on my car. I'm not sure what the proper oil weight is but it should say in your owners manual.

·
Registered
46 Posts
75W90 is the proper weight. I'd recommend Redline MT90 (not MTL90) or their super light-weight shock proof stuff. You may want to check out www.myoilshop.com for some info on Redline. The drain plug is on the right-hand bottom side of the tranny. It'll take a 1/2" ratchet and probably a rubber mallet to get the plug out. The fill plug is 3/8" and on the front of the tranny about half way up in the middle. I'm considering the side facing the radiator to be the front.

You may experience some leaking after you switch to synthetic. The reverse and/or neutral switches may leak or you could even experience a leak from the main gasket that holds the two halves of the case together. I've experienced both and it isn't much fun taking the tranny apart to re-seal the case. The switches aren't too much trouble and you may want to change them before hand. Make sure the bolts that hold the case together are tight before filling up with synthetic.

BTW, what is the name and number of the place that you had your cam reground at? Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts