Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Valvoline 10w-30. I want to switch over to Synthetic mobil 1 of course, what would be the best weight..? I use a K&N oil filter BTW. SO Let me know what to get, im not sure. its gettin into fall, then winter. its been 100- 50 *F here. off and on

·
Registered
500 Posts
Nissan recommends you use 5W-30, however you might want to switch to 10W-30 if you have a higher-milage engine because the oil is thicker then it's hot than 5W-30 and won't have as much of a tendency to leak than thinner oil.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
I am using 10w30 which is thicker and i really dont see a loss in MPG as some people say you do when you go to thicker oil. As for synthetic, sure its better but I go with dino oil cause its cheaper and it still does the job.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
UnderDog, you have it backwards.

The first number indicates cold pour weight equivalent while the second number indicates hot pour weight equivalent. 5W-30 and 10W-30 have the same hot pour weight. Pour weight is regardless of base stock; 10W-30 dino oil has the same pour behavior as 10W-30 synthetic oil.

Mike92SE, use the same weight synthetic as is recommended in the owner's manual. Watch for gasket leaks. Sadly, if you do get leaks, switching back to dino oil won't stop them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah I know. I had it right the first time then it looked funny so I flipped it around two or three times because I wasn't sure. I didn't bother to edit it after I submitted my mistake.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
If anything, I'd run the thinner 5W-30 oil in the winter if you park outside and it get's pretty cold. Like bahearn has said, they have the same hot pour characteristics, but not the same cold, 5W can handle a lot colder temps. I can tell you from experience that 5W-30 Synthetic and 5W-30 Dino don't appear to have the same pour characteristics. Synthetic seems thinner than Dino when watching it pour. The visual difference is similar to the difference between 10W-30 and 5W-30 dino oils.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
I erred by using the term "pour weight". It's actually viscosity that's measured.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, gasket leaks really suck ass. In addition, I use Mobil 1 syn. 5w-30, so I won't be able to switch back to normal oil. I have to add about a quart of oil every 2 weeks to my car now :(

·
Registered
351 Posts
the larger is the difference between 2 numbers, the more additives are added to oil, the quicker it will break down... although I could've swore that engine revs alittle happier with 5-30

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
By Nature said:
I could've swore that engine revs alittle happier with 5-30
Its not that its a little happier. Put it this way, try to swim in a pool with water and well assuming you can swim it is fairly easy cause water is thin. Now fill it with something thick like honey and syrup and it gets a little harder. Think about it like that with the thickness of oil.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Let me see if I got this straight. I got it backwards at the beginning of this thread and I always wondered how oil weight is rated. So, the numbers are actually viscosity ratings, and the first number is the viscosity rating when the oil is cold and the second number is the rating when the oil heats up and expands? That's how I understood it. Don't flame me if I'm wrong, just be nice and correct me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts