Nissan Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bror Jace said:
"I have been doing the oil changes every 12,000. I was thinking of only doing the oil filter changes at 12,000 and changing the oil every 24,000."

Think you'll save money doing this? How much ... $20-30 per year? That's foolish economy ... like the current F1 rules mandating 1 set of tires for racing and qualifying. :rolleyes:

Seems a foolish gamble to me. I wouldn't go over 8,000 miles on an oil and filter without testing along the way ... even using Mobil 1's newest "15,000 mile" oil. I can't imagine changing my oil at least twice each year ... no matter what a pain it is.

WildBoar, you mean you run your car until it quits? :eek:

An Excel spreadsheet is a LOT easier. ;)

Simply put your miles travelled in column A. On the same row, put your gallons consumed in column B. In column C, you'll write a formula:

=A1/B1

This will automtically divide the miles by gallons and show an answer. I suggest you format the cel to round to the nearest tenth. Numbers out to 4-5+ decimals suggest a precision you're not getting with this method of measuring. ;)

Repeat this using the next rows for each tankful of gas. :)

That's km not miles so it's not by any means a "foolish gamble". There are
many test results online of doing oil changes with synthetics at much higher
milege like 40,000 km with oil filter changes and top-ups.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
as far as the qr25de is concerned which is the xtrail engine, they will get slightly better gas mileage on better oil. i no longer say synthetic because i have been running chevron supreme and get better gas mileage than when i ran amsoil. mind you, that chevron is exceptionally good oil (actually some UOAs i have read put many synthetics to shame) and dirt cheap so i change it every 2500 miles if the car is being used hard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bror Jace said:
WildBoar, you mean you run your car until it quits? :eek:

An Excel spreadsheet is a LOT easier. ;)

Simply put your miles travelled in column A. On the same row, put your gallons consumed in column B. In column C, you'll write a formula:

=A1/B1

This will automtically divide the miles by gallons and show an answer. I suggest you format the cel to round to the nearest tenth. Numbers out to 4-5+ decimals suggest a precision you're not getting with this method of measuring. ;)

Repeat this using the next rows for each tankful of gas. :)
Yeah it was a gamble.

Thanks for the info on the spreadsheet wil start it for all my vehicles. My Pathfinder I have faith in. My Chrysler Town and Country is like a geriatric, I have to be extra careful with it. Its a great van but need extra attention.

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
715 Posts
Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer

Hi,

I just got off of the phone with Marc(Valboo) as well the folks at Lucas Oil here in Canada.

It was my birthday yesterday (if you want to send gifts, please IM me.. LOL) and my Boss/Friend/X-Trail owner took me out for lunch. While we were at the Brasserie/Pub, They had on Car racing and he looked at me and asked me if i ever hear of Lucas Oil..of course I did not. Steve also is the East Coast Rep for the Hot Rod Association (Custom built cars). he has an 1931 Dodge Eight, one of 4 in the world 1999 GM Firehawk Special Edition cars... to name a few and of course his X-Trail whihc he pruchased after he saw mine!.

He knew that I was going to be doing my Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil change today at Metro Nissan and told me to pick up a bottle of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer from Canadian Tire which I did and replace 1 litre with it. It's not cheap $19.99/bottle.

Ok.. Go to Metro Nissan, they do the 18k checkup, oil change, etc... It's ready. I turn on the X-trail and the car is quiter than before...hmm... I go to back up and thought I woul die.. I touched the peddle and flew back...ok... it's a parking lot.. I am backing out... let me take this on the road...

As I am driving, I notice the engine is much more quiet....less vibration... and i have to push lighter on the pedal... ok this weird...I get out of Lasalle onto highway 20 about 9:15am... no traffic due to everyone on holidays... and let it rip... If I can sound like a kid..or my son.. "OH My GOD!!!..

I have had additives over the years but i do not know what they put into this stuff... Lucas products I have found out are used by many in the racing industry, trucking industry, hot rodders, etc.... but I tell you what a difference!!! I then went for a "Cruise" with my wife for my Birthday Lunch
in Hudson Quebec, about 35 minutes from where I live in the West Island of Montreal... so I get onto the Trans-Canada...

... If she could have slapped me she would.. All I kept hearing her say was what is wrong with you!!! Why are you driving so fast... My X-Trail is another vehicle with this Lucas oil in it... I am learing to step a little lighter again on my peddle.

I called Lucas Oil Canada and spoke with them and they laughed.. they get the same response from any people who call them and no they did not tell me what is in it!!

Marc(Valboo) is going to try a bottle the next oil change as well so we will get his reaction as he is a standard and mine is automatic. I will let yoou know over the next week what my reaction if changed is...but so far... I am very impressed... very... and many aftermarket additives that I have tried over the years just do not work.

Stephen

·
Registered
941 Posts
Zac, I'm glad you like the Chevron Supreme. I have 4+ quarts of their newest 5W-30 (GF4) ready to go into my ride this fall. Gonna do a short oil drain interval with it before I switch over to synthetics again for the winter. :)

SCHBECH, I am not a fan of Lucas products, I'll say that up front.

Their "synthetic" motor oil is reported to be one of the group III 'pretend' synthetics. That right there is a really bad sign. I believe the only true synthetics are Group IV PAOs and Group V esters (Mobil 1, Amsoil, Red Line, NEO, Schaeffer, etc ...). Using Group III means they're more into profits than real quality or performance.

Their original heavy-duty oil stabilizer is thought to be "bright stock" which is a super-thick petroleum product often added to gear oils to make them "climb" up slow-moving gears. This stuff also seems to have a "foaming" effect in some applications which is definitely not good.

I have no idea what they put in their "synthetic" stabilizer but neither product is thought to contain any metallic barrier anti-wear adds such as ZDDP, moly & boron. That's the stuff I look for in a high-performance oil.

I've been tempted to try their UCL ... but heard it interfered with UOAs so I haven't thus far.

The end result is any heavier oil will make your engine quieter. As for making it seem faster, I'd have to chalk that one up to "placebo effect."

·
Registered
941 Posts
chansen, yes, that demo is pretty disturbing ... but not every application will churn the oil in that same way. So, while I won't use this stuff, I can't say it would be bad for every application.

And, in general, I don't want to be a total tool saying the Lucas line of products are no good. After all, no SL or SM oil is 'bad.' But after seeing some testing (lab testing, not subjective seat-of-the-pants stuff) I'm simply not terribly impressed with their products and prefer to buy other brands ... either mass market stuff from Pennzoil or Chevron or specialty stuff from Schaeffer.

Also, UOAs actually show some engines wearing MORE with heavier oils. You will also see reduced fuel economy and flywheel horsepower with thicker oil, all things being equal, because of hydrodynamic drag (pumping losses).

Besides, if I wanted a thicker oil, I'd much rather buy a thicker grade off the shelf as opposed to buying $1-5 per quart oil ... then 'fortifying' it with another quart at $8-20 per quart. Makes more economic sense and you are getting a properly blended product with almost zero chance of additive clash.

Speaking of thickness, I have 2 anecdotal accounts which suggest the exact opposite about the QR25DE and oil. When my car was exactly 1 year old, I dumped the Red Line 5W-30 out of it and switched to Schaeffer 5W-30 synthetic blend. That and a new air filter were the only changes I made. The car instantly shot up about 2 mpg average. That's about 6-7% which is a really signicant jump in mileage.

On the other hand, I'd been running 5W-30 ever since ... except this summer when I decided to get rid of some odd stocks of Schaeffer I had lying around. So, I used mostly 10W-30 ... with a full quart of 15W-40 thrown in.

During my July 2 trip to Limerock Park in Connecticut, I got 31.0mpg with this slightly thick oil in the sump ... one of the best tankfuls I've ever recorded.

Go figure.

·
715 Posts
Follow up

Ok.. I went on my Regular trip to the U.S. .. found another new Border to get across no lines at all!!! I hate going through the main borders Lacolle / Philipsburgh ... and found a great route and scenic!!!

I filled up the car while in the U.S. with Mobil 1 Medium grade gas and put in 2oz of Lucas Gas treatment as well recommeded by several people and half of the amount as indicated on their bottle.... gas is still cheaper in the U.S. but that is another topic!

Just so all of you know I am not nor do I represent myself as a Lucas representative and Marc (Valboo) can vouch for this!!! I just know many in the Hot Rod arena that build their custom cars worth in the 80K and up price range.. who swear by some of their products they use... Working in Advertisement I know what bull is being fed or worded to make the consumer purchase their products .. I do not need advise on this as I am just as guilty since I work in this field... that's another story...

Usually I have obtained on my gas meter (this is not an accurate test but an indication of what I have observed to date)... 125-130km at the first 1/4 tank used. I always top off my car so it is filled the same way each time. This time I have obtained 200km and know change in my driving habit.. some you don't even want to know..LOL

I am going to see how far I get on a tank of gas this time......the only changes again were the added Lucas Oil Synthetic Additive to my Mobil 1 Oil change and the Lucas Gas treatment.

On another note, Marc is trying the Lucas as well since he is on vacation like me... and will be checking his oil after driving around to see if there is any color difference etc.

Make for interesting times....

Stephen

·
Registered
150 Posts
so lets say I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil...which rating is the best? 0w-40? or anything better? I'd want good performance....I'm kinda bad at oils so please advise me thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sergei_dekker said:
so lets say I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil...which rating is the best? 0w-40? or anything better? I'd want good performance....I'm kinda bad at oils so please advise me thanks
I am using 5w/30 because that all it ever had in it. I live in Florida and folks say 10w s fine. Is there a benefit in switching 0w 5w or 10w?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sergei_dekker: "So, let's say I am using Mobil 1 synthetic oil ... which rating is the best? 0w-40? Or anything better? I'd want good performance... I'm kinda bad at oils so please advise me. Thanks."

Mobil 1 0W-40 is good ... but it tends to shear down once you get past the 3,000-4,000 mile mark. Generally, the larger spread between the two numbers, the less shear-stable the oil, even among synthetics.

Singapore is awfully hot, yes? A lot of Mobil 1 fans use their more stable 10W-30 and 15W-50 in a 50/50 mix for heavier-duty applications. The 10W-30 is fine on its own but it, like all Mobil 1 oils, starts a little thin. So, they 'fortify' it with the 15W-50 ... which is a thin 50 weight at temp.

Also, the 15W-50 weight has historically had higher levels of barrier wear additives ... although I don't know if that is still true.

·
715 Posts
Ok Mileage follow up

Ok.. it was a 6% increase... not much but enough! 531.1km on a tank of gas... and know I did not let it go bone dry... was it the additive oil or gas who knows... I just glad!

Stephen

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have just switched to the Mobil 1 synthetic, but am hearing mixed reports about the correct weight for the x-trail. I use a 10w-30 and a mate uses the 15w-50 specs. Please help sought out our 'differences'.

·
715 Posts

Well I just had my 30K oil change with Mobil 1, also had the engine noise vibration when starting the car fixed ( Loose Screw under a cover ), Changed from winter to regular tires, and again for the 4th time fixing the Sunroof Wind Deflector.... There are two clips that hold the deflector down on the seal that are held by plastic ties that break .. I guess due to the temperaturt variations. I am going to look to see if I can get silicone ties that are not sensitive to temerature chages.

All for a mere total of $101.00 Canadian...I am not complaining... I also had my rear hatch retinted as I scrated my old tint badly... my fault but at the same time installed a front 6" tint like Marc and it makes a big difference.

Stephen

·
# 0001 Bonavista Owner
509 Posts
Spring has Sprung

SCHESBH said:
Well I just had my 30K oil change with Mobil 1, also had the engine noise vibration when starting the car fixed ( Loose Screw under a cover ), Changed from winter to regular tires, and again for the 4th time fixing the Sunroof Wind Deflector.... There are two clips that hold the deflector down on the seal that are held by plastic ties that break .. I guess due to the temperaturt variations. I am going to look to see if I can get silicone ties that are not sensitive to temerature chages.

All for a mere total of $101.00 Canadian...I am not complaining... I also had my rear hatch retinted as I scrated my old tint badly... my fault but at the same time installed a front 6" tint like Marc and it makes a big difference.

Stephen
While it's a stunning day here (today) it will be several weeks yet before I do the switch-over of tires :mad:

Come on Spring - I wanna get my side steps on :D Also want to do the reverse sensors.

That Sunroof Wind Deflector has been problematic for you :thumbdwn: mine's been on for 9 months now - no problems...........wonder if they're pulling them tooooo tight :confused:

Did you guys see the bonnet struts from down under (Au) ? I bought a set on eBay - waiting for them to arrive - hopefully this week.

After install, will post some pics and comments.

Cheers

21 - 36 of 36 Posts